Menu

What could be done with this kitchen?-Update in first post

DawnM

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

wow. Why don't you just express your opinion you think the subway tile is fine instead of calling out someone else's opinion as being "wrong"?

I'm sorry. It wasn't an attack on you! 🙂 I just disagree. 

[[Totally aside: Actually, it's interesting that you can express such strong, authoritative opinions but feel attacked by someone disagreeing with said opinion. Did it occur to you that some of us may have similar looking kitchens with similar backsplashes? Would it not possibly be offensive to bluntly state..."that backsplash needs help."]]

It's not personal. I promise. 

I am curious now why you think the backsplash needs help. Maybe I'm missing something. 😂

Edited by popmom

18 hours ago, DawnM said:

I don't know if these are 8 ft. or 9 ft. ceilings, but this is a kitchen in a home my realtor sent me.  I haven't looked at it yet, but it just looks like the owners wanted maximum cabinet space, which I get but it looks awkward.

Fill in the top inch or two with something to make it look like it goes all the way up?   Paint the cabinets white to match the backsplash and countertop and make it more Farmhouse looking?   Add some trim and new hardware to dress it up?   It needs something!

A complete remodel would not be an option, although I might be tempted to rip out the upper cabinets and put in cabinets that were lower that have some space at the top, not sure how to match or how much that would be.

image.thumb.png.bed62305b8d9edd397c47e62826b5fab.png

Definitely new hardware. Crown molding on the cabinets. Either paint or stain cabinets to make them less the same color as the floor. Maybe not white, because you'd need to make sure it didn't clash with the white counters or backsplash and that can be tricky.

10 hours ago, Ellie said:

Definitely new hardware. Crown molding on the cabinets. Either paint or stain cabinets to make them less the same color as the floor. Maybe not white, because you'd need to make sure it didn't clash with the white counters or backsplash and that can be tricky.

ETA: I do not have any sort of certification in interior design, so ymmv... I do not claim to be an expert. Just mildly obsessive over my own aesthetics. 🙂

It's actually not ((that)) tricky with the whites. I've experienced great angst over this. lol  I've done hours of scrutinizing on Pinterest and magazines on this topic. And I eventually hired an interior designer to help. If you start looking at magazine pics, you'll see that all those high end kitchens... They aren't all matchy matchy with the whites. I was really concerned about my quartz counters being SO white. Kind of bright white. I needed to repaint my ((less)) white cabinets, so I was stressing about which white to choose. I ended up going with a softer, slightly warmer white than my countertops, and its totally fine. (It doesn’t perfectly match my baseboards or crown mold either.)— Ben Moore White Dove.  I could have gone with a cooler more grayish white and been fine, too. 

The thing I found with off-whites is that some will apparently read purple or other undesirable colors in ((certain light)). This isn't a concern with most of the popular whites from Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams. I was considering an off white from Farrow and Ball called "Blackened" and decided against it because so many reviews said it read purple. I bought a sample pot and painted it on my cabinets and I liked it a lot. But the reviews scared me. I still love that color and wonder... I will be braver next time. 🙂 

Kylie M Interiors is a great online resource for an in depth analysis of paint colors.

Another aside: I had my cabinets repainted "professionally". Not all "professional" painters are truly professional. I was not happy with my paint job. It's barely acceptable. I will have to do touch ups, and I will never recommend this company to anyone. When I had my kitchen island built, I decided to paint it myself. My paint job is better than the so called "professional" I hired to paint the rest of my cabinets. ((sigh)). It's A LOT of work, but if you do your homework on techniques and materials, it can totally be done well as a DIY project. 

Sorry for rambling on…kitchens are my favorite!!

Edited by popmom

• DawnM changed the title to What could be done with this kitchen?-Update in first post