Menu

Audible Plus - Favorites?

What is your favorite homeschooling audible plus books?   

DD is just starting 9th grade and is 12.   

We are going on a cruise in some months and part of that will be an excursion to the Chacchoben Ruin.  So I thought it would be an excellent time to include Mayans.  Audible Plus seems to have an awesome book on the Mayans in Audible Plus.  That got me thinking, what else might be good on Plus?   Have you guys found any hits lately?   There has to be others like that and I'm just not finding them.

We have access to Kanopy, and they seem to have enough Great Courses to keep us content on that front.  

For me, I've been tickled pink with the Thomas Sowell books even when I don't like the narrator.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, no one has any suggestions, but I do think Plus will help me put together a Literature class.  

A little background on us.  Both of us parents could maybe be described as having a reading problem.  I am convinced that we have more books than the local small town library, and that is with us actively trying to NOT buy books.   DD had dyslexia.  Notice the past tense.  The most common reason can actually be cured with therapy.   If the problem is that the eyes don't put the images together and you get two versions of the text blurred together, they can fix that.   Therapy isn't cheap.  So, DD found reading tiring and overall horrible, which as you can imagine was a shock to us parents.   Even after the therapy and she said reading was 'fine', she didn't dive in right away. (She has now) She loves audiobooks and it was an easy transition from mommy reading to her when she was small, to listening to a book together (Mommies voice gives out).   She is signed up for that audio program for people with reading problems.   Listening Library?  She finished therapy maybe 8 months ago.  

Starting about 4 months ago she fell in love with my kindle when she discovered that she could download and read graphic novels from the library.   So, she's been reading the graphic novels and I've noticed she's been reading regular books too.   She does like to check-out books from the library, but the big one is a drive away and close one is often closed.  The love-reading thing is new and I don't want to rock that boat.   So, my plan is to use Audible Plus to make a literature class.   I thought I'd start with their short story collections.  I've been listening to them to try them out.  Seems like a good way to get a good sampling of a ton of authors and styles, without resorting to abridged (ick).  

• 3 months later...

Well, the direction I ended up going doesn't match my original plan, but I like it.   

I'd picked out some history and literature audiobooks for her to listen to.  I could tell she needed something to do with her hands while listening and I'm the same way, so I understand.   Now she plays her favorite video games while listening to what I picked out.  The monitor she uses is the big, main computer one that I can easily see if I turn my head while WFH.  She's building houses in SIMS4.  I didn't want the video game to be too intense and distracting.   She finished everything I picked out, and now she's picking her own from the Great Courses and then showing it to me for approval.   For example, she picked out the History of the Bible course.   

Edited by shawthorne44