Menu

Experience with Classical Math 3?

TJWinMA

Our 2nd grader is just about finished with Saxon Math 3 and we are looking for a different option for his 3rd grade year before we return to Saxon 5/4 in 4th grade.  We are considering Classical Math 3 by Logos Press for one year.  If anyone has experience with Classical Math 3, or if you have another recommendation, I'd appreciate your input.  Many thanks!

7 minutes ago, LinRTX said:

Is there any reason why you would not just go to Saxon 5/4. I had two who did 5/4 early, after finishing Saxon 3.

Good question.   I thought he might benefit from additional practice with the various math facts.  We don't time the Saxon practice/drill sheets, but he certainly takes his time with them.  I feel like we could speed up the recall a bit.  Saxon, at least in Saxon 1-3, tends to include many lessons of review, so maybe that would suffice if we move directly into 5/4.  Or we could spend the summer drilling the facts a bit more.  

Seconding the math facts that stick series. And wrap-ups, and  math games! We loved Right Start games, Zeus on the Loose, and many others. As supplements, not replacement curricula.

I would not change curriculum unless it is really not working. Just build in more time for review, preferably in fun, hands-on, non-worksheet ways. Substitute for the Saxon drill sheets, not in addition to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like maybe Saxon isn't working as well as you'd like though? And if they're struggling to fill out drill pages they may not be physically ready for a textbook course.  

Maybe something like Singapore or Math in Focus would be from such a different angle that they'd be more engaged. These two have a really similar approach. Math in Focus has more baby steps built in where Singapore might expect you to make that leap on your own. They both have workbooks all the way. 

Horizons is a solid workbook course with a spiral method. It's from a religious publisher. 

My younger kids were nowhere near ready for textbook math courses at that age. They used the above and the stronger math student went to Beast Academy's online version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Decide if Saxon as a whole isn’t a good fit or if you just need more time specifically on math facts review in non-timed, non-worksheet ways. Two very different things.

Thank you all!  I actually do think Saxon is a good fit for us.  My only concern/issue is his recall speed with the math facts.  I'd like to see him improve in that area a bit to be better prepared for Saxon 5/4.  I appreciate the advice not to change curriculum unless it is not working -- I am confident that is not the situation we are in.  We will look into the non-worksheet suggestions, games, etc.  Many, many thanks. 

• Like 1