Menu

Math: I just received my abacus and Learning Mathematics with the Abacus

SonshineLearner

I love these books. The only reason I stopped was the lack of books to move into after we finished. All of my kids really enjoyed it and there is something so neat about the kids clacking away on their abacus'. I just didn't know where to go after they finished the second book. Personally, I didn't feel that I could get the more advanced techiques down enough to be able to present them. There is a nice Japanese man in CA that has a DVD curriculum that goes all the way through advanced math, but in the end I went back to other more traditional things--even though I loved the soroban.

Now if only nurtureminds.com or mathabacus.com had books that went all the way though hs level math!

All that aside, I am starting my four year old on it. We will probably switch to MUS when she finishes or Life of Fred.

The abacus is awesome for understanding place value, regrouping, carrying, borrowing, and mental math. I couldn't move the beads in my head, but my kids could!

No. I took a look at the link the OP posted and this uses a traditional Japanese abacus either the soroban or the other one, I forget it's name. One of them have 1 bead on top, 5 beads on bottom whereas the other (older) has 2 beads on top and 5 on the bottom (I have this one as a show piece on my wall, lol). We use the RS abacus (10 beads on each row, 5 each of a color) and love it. The Japanese abacus is great and fun to learn to use.

This abacus has one "heavenly bead" and then beads underneath. My husband worked through the first book and he's excited. It has one book to use for each year and then a workbook,too. It also teaches you from the beginning to visualize the beads so that children use to "do the abacus" in their heads which helps with mental calculations. (In years one & two they do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.)

Carrie:-)

• 6 months later...
Guest sanya

Abacus is a tool for calculation which consists of rods having beads.

It helps in increasing memory retention,right brain activation,whole brain development,listening skills and many other things.

Any kind of help regarding learning this, may be attained from this link http://www.axisabacus.com

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Acerbica

If you are interesting in the other curriculum you can find it at:

http://www.citivu.com/usa/sigmaed/

Hi Caroline, I went to this link, but it's just for a city in CA. I don't see any way to find the DVD-maker/Japanese man you refered to, and I am really interested in looking at his stuff. Can you help me? Thanks!

-Terese

http://www.nurturemi...-1-textbook.htm

I'm ashamed to say this. I bought the abacus books last summer, and my DD would have none.of.it. I need to dig them out and try again. I just came across an interesting blog which cited a couple of IPAD apps.

ETA:::Okay..dug out the books this morning. We easily covered the first 20 pages of the Year 1 book. A three rod abacus would work better, so we may make one.