Menu

May 2023: What are you reading?

Vintage81

On 5/31/2023 at 1:19 PM, Lady Florida. said:

I didn't quote the book you were referencing but that's how I felt about Demon Copperhead. Everyone thought it was great, so much so that it won the Pulitzer. I get that the topic is important but it was just too bleak for me so I dnf'd it. David Copperfield is one of my favorite Dickens books so I thought I'd like this one. I saw the parallels but where they differed is that Dickens gave us downtrodden but quirky, plucky characters while Kingsolver just gave us downtrodden ones. 

I regularly reread Jane Austin novels, usually about every 2-3 years. Sometimes I choose the one I haven't read in the longest while and sometimes I just go with whichever one I feel like reading. If it's a disorder I have it too. 

I read and enjoyed all three of those, the last two with book clubs. I feel the same as you about all of them.

Same here with Demon Copperhead. But, this invariably happens to me with most prize winners (except for the Man Booker ones. Those have an almost perfect hit rate ❤️

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic