Menu

Has anyone used 42electronics?

DD would like to try 42 electronics, but I don't know much about it. I know they've been having trouble getting the Raspberry Pi, but that's not a problem because older DS is an engineer and has one that we can use. I like that they provide the componenents and assume you have no background because I won't be much help. I'd just like a review from somewhere other than online before I buy.

I'm not familiar with 42e, but I looked at their website and it does look impressive, though expensive.  

For a cheaper alternative, I can recommend books published by Maker Media, specifically Make: Electronics by Charles Platt in 2 volumes.  Volume 1 also does not assume any prior knowledge of electronics.  There is at least one supporting blog and a youtube channel.  You can buy all the materials in the kit, but I also recommend sourcing the materials yourself as a learning exercise.

When you have completed both volumes you can move on to more advanced projects according to your interests.  

IMO, electronics projects books get caught in 2 traps:

1.  Lots of recipes to make cool stuff, but the user doesn't understand why things work.

2.  Too much theory, without much hands on which gets boring.  

I thought M:E did a great job of balancing both goals.  Still, that 42e website looks very cool indeed!