Menu

Summer before Algebra I

jboo

I'm starting this thread to just kick around some ideas.

Rising 7th grader will have finished pre-Algebra in May. It seems to be going pretty well. He'll start Algebra in September. So what should I do with the summer?

1. A more intensive pre-Algebra curriculum. Something like AoPS Pre-Algebra, which is deeper and harder than what he's working on now. (I wouldn't expect him to complete this.)

2. A normal pre-Algebra curriculum, but a different one than he'd worked on, which would serve as a review/help solidify the material. Ideally something that wouldn't involve as much teaching time as #1. Math Mammoth's, maybe?  R&S 8? Something just to keep in in practice.

3. A lightweight, gentle intro to Algebra, like Key to Algebra, to give him some familiarity before hitting the topic

4. Something oddball, that keeps him in the "math mode". Number theory? Cryptography? Something math puzzle-y? An old vocational math textbook?

Do you usually school year round?

If so I'd just go ahead and start Alg if you think he's ready. No need to wait til Sept.

If not then I'd ask why you think you need to do so in this case. If it's because you're worried he'll forget pre A then I'd go with a review from something like MM. If it's because you're worried he needs more time to ease into Alg, then I'd go ahead and start Alg 1 now. And if it's just some vague feeling that you feel like he should be doing something, then I'd ignore it and let him have a summer off 😊

I would not do AoPS with a student who has never used it. It's not a review it's an entirely different way of looking at math.

• Like 3

I like #4 too. Though Keys to isn't a bad idea. Jousting Armadillos could be fun there, and it's short! Prealgebra level. It's more about playing with math and deep understanding and isn't just another review of arithmetic. 

(Fwiw my kid who loved JA did not like the next levels nearly as well and asked to drop them. But they still think pretty fondly of JA.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malam said:

Do you want recommendations for #4? You could also use Alcumus to get the rigor benefits of #1 without the time sink of a full book.

Alcumus is an interesting thought. I am trying to keep him very minimal in terms of screens but, well, AoPS.

I would like recommendations for #4. 

Patty Paper Geometry, Ed Zaccaro Challenge Math or Real World Algebra, Harold Jacob's Mathematics: A Human Endeavor, The Moscow Puzzles, Raymond Smullyan's books (particularly "What Is the Name of This Book?" and "To Mock a Mockingbird"), Princeton review math smart junior, middle school competition math books (George Lenchner, Jacob Batterson), Winning Ways for your Mathematical Plays by John Conway

Edited by Malam
  • Like 2