Menu

Tiner Science? Hakim?

Which do you like better for John Tiner's series: the MP guides or the Masterbooks? Both together? My older boys did just the books' quizzes, but this time around, I would like more. 

For Hakim Story of Science, where did you find guides? I know they exist somewhere.

(And dispite what MB says, we all agree these are middle school level.)

55 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

We used the Tiner books without any guides.  There are questions in the back of the book that I had them answer in a notebook.  Narration could easily be added for more.

That’s what we did the first go round. 3 chapters a week equaled a whole school year.

The MasterBooks guides are basically just worksheets and a schedule. I have used some of them in the past and found some of them really lacking. Sometimes the worksheets are very short and too basic, and the schedule too lax (not an appropriate amount of daily work for the age level). Not all their courses are like this, but some are, so I would look at all the samples very closely before buying so you know what you're getting. As written, they may not be more work for your kids than what you did the first time around.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had the Hakim guides, but did not use them. I wasn't very impressed with the assignments. Most were geared toward classrooms and group work. The suggested modification for homeschoolers was "Do the assignments with your sibling!". That isn't helpful if the sibling is several years younger or older, or if you have an only child. 

Some assignments were just silly, like "perform a rap song about Aristotle". Just...no. 

There were end of unit exams, but it seemed like a lot of money to spend for so little useful material, IMO. I resold the guides and workbooks and just had my son read the books and discuss the content with me. 

• Like 1