Menu

Looking for homemade waffle mix recipes please

I just got a waffle maker and was wondering if anyone had a tried and true, yummy, healthy, homemade waffle mix recipe?

If you don't have a good homemade one, would you share your favorite packaged mix? I would like to surprise my dc with waffles on Christmas morning!

Thank you!

We have this at least weekly--often for dinner. Beating the egg whites is what makes it so light and yummy.

8 c flour (We like to use whole wheat pastry flour--healthier and noone can tell the difference. Pastry flour is just very finely ground flour. If you can't grind your own, you can buy this at most grocery stores.)

3 T baking powder

pinch of salt

8 egg yolks

10 egg whites

Beat egg whites until stiff. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add egg yolks to dry ingredients and mix a little bit by hand. Add enough milk to flour and egg mixture until it is a little runnier than cake batter. Then gently fold in your beaten egg whites. (You'll have chunks of fluffy egg white.) Cook on heated and oiled waffle iron. Enjoy!

Thanks, Laura! A few questions...

Approx. how many does this make? If it matters, my waffle maker is 4 squares. Also, about the pastry flour, I didn't realize the only difference was the grind. I may have some in my cupboard, but if not, can I just take some WW flour and grind it in the food processor to use as pastry flour?

Thanks!

2 c. flour

4 tsp baking powder

2 Tbs sugar

2 c. milk

1/4 c. veg oil

2 eggs

Beat ingr together. My waffle iron makes 2 at a time. I use about 1/3 c. batter for each side, cook about 4 mins. I've never kept track of how many this makes . . . about 16-18 maybe.

Cinder

ps--this is also my pancake recipe. We like it better than the waffle recipe I tried. And it's easy to remember.

I've got a fabulous one! It's my Mom's.

4 Eggs, separated

3 1/2 cups milk

4 cups flour

1 tsp salt

6 tsp baking powder

2 sticks melted butter

Beat egg whites, set aside.

Put egg yolks in a large bowl and add everything but butter and egg whites.

Mix.

Add butter and then egg whites.

My mom has never mentioned doubling this, and it made enough waffles to feed our family growing up (me, Mom, Dad, and 1 hungry brother).

Bettry Crocker Cookbook recipe. I have been using it for 33 years now.

2 eggs

2 cups buttermilk ( add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the bottom of your measuring cup before you pour in 1 cup milk. Let it set a few minutes. )

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil

Makes 8 - 7 inch waffles.

My cookbook notes that if you use plain milk, hyou should separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff. Omit the soda and increase baking poweder to 4 tsps.

It's easier to use buttermilk or soured milk!

"Waffles" and "Healthy" are never two words I use in the same sentence! :D

We use the Bisquick one, too, but my waffle iron just bit the dust...I've been making pancakes, instead.