Menu

Has Anyone Tried Preply for Korean?

OnceAgain

We've used preply for Chinese and Spanish (also music, math, chemistry, and acting tutoring --it advertises as a language tutoring platform but tutors can offer any subject).

It works a lot like italki; tutors set their own rates and teach however they want. When we didn't feel like one tutor was working out we switched to another. For math, I use an online curriculum that I give the tutor access to so they can work with our preferred materials.

Some tutors are better than others, but it is easy to switch (and if you have bought prepaid hours with one tutor and decide to switch to another you can switch the hours over). On the whole my family has been really happy with the platform and the access it has given us to tutors all over the world.

One thing I don't like: tutors don't get paid at all for trial lessons. So if you do a trial I'd try to sign up for at least a few paid lessons because it feels really unfair to the tutor otherwise. (Students may pay for trials, but preply keeps that money).

On 2/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, maize said:

One thing I don't like: tutors don't get paid at all for trial lessons. So if you do a trial I'd try to sign up for at least a few paid lessons because it feels really unfair to the tutor otherwise. (Students may pay for trials, but preply keeps that money).

I didn't know this! I thought tutors were paid for trials.

We also use it for Chinese, and have also used it for trumpet and violin tutors. One tutor we found taught Suzuki violin in Spanish, so that was cool (we are a bilingual English/Spanish family). We've had pretty good success with the platform, and the tutors overall are cheaper than the ones on italki. As with getting any tutor in a different time zone, it can be difficult to line up schedules sometimes.