Menu

American History Stories by Mara Pratt - is there anything modern like this?

Ting Tang

I would love to find something that wouldn't take up too much of our time to tell the story of America that might appeal to children between the ages of 8-11.  Of course, something written from the late 1800's has outdated viewpoints (some more problematic than others).  I think it would be interesting to read, but somewhat cringy in spots.

We have lots of living books, biographies, etc.  I don't want a big old textbook curriculum, either.  

So is there anything short and sweet to help my children understand our history and its timeline?  

6 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I wish for something like A Child’s History of the World by Hillyar myself. 

I’ve read excerpts from Pratt’s book, and I can see why it’s so engaging. I just know certain descriptions aren’t appropriate today. I could stop and explain, but then it might get jostled in their minds. One of mine did the 3rd grade books listed in Memoria Press, and I don’t feel he has a grasp of the timeline after. Now we’ve been away from American history. 

I'm not familiar with that particular book. My youngest read A People's History of the United States for Young People by Zinn at 11 and enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it short, though it's good for reading in small chunks like a spine. It starts with the Taino rather than the Europeans. ✌️

That year he also read A Different Mirror for Young People: A Multicultural History of the United States, An Indigenous People's History of the United States for Young People, and Stamped for Kids.

They're all just chronological history books. An average 11yo could read and discuss but I'd read aloud and discuss for an 8yo. 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

I think a problem you're going to come across is the intention of the book.

1800s/first half of 20th century books are going to take a patriotic view.  The stories are going to be lively, upbeat, and meant to instill patriotism in young children.

Modern books are trying to more delicately balance the good with the bad, and the stories are not going to be as....fulfilling-feeling?

We have come close with some Usborne books, like Stories of WWI, and some smaller books like the Outrageous Women series by Vicki Leon. The Hakim books got high rotation in our house as well as the Disney's American Presidents videos, which tell the story through what was going on with each POTUS up through...I think Obama.  It's just little clips, but ds had his interest sparked and ended up falling down serious rabbit holes.

Anything else we found to be dismissive of women, or providential in nature, or utterly without minorities except for the Tokens. None of which would have been acceptable to have as a definitive story of the U.S.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

I'm not familiar with that particular book. My youngest read A People's History of the United States by Zinn at 11 and enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it short, though it's good for reading in small chunks like a spine. It starts with the Taino rather than the Europeans. ✌️

That year he also read A Different Mirror for Young People: A Multicultural History of the United States, An Indigenous People's History of the United States for Young People, and Stamped for Kids.

They're all just chronological history books. An average 11yo could read and discuss but I'd read aloud and discuss for an 8yo. 

Thanks so much! We have a book called Encounter on our shelves, so I try to provide some balance. I will have to look at page counts. We should probably make a timeline in my home. I looked at a curriculum that uses the Zinn book as a spine, but I’m guessing I was overwhelmed. 

18 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I think a problem you're going to come across is the intention of the book.

1800s/first half of 20th century books are going to take a patriotic view.  The stories are going to be lively, upbeat, and meant to instill patriotism in young children.

Modern books are trying to more delicately balance the good with the bad, and the stories are not going to be as....fulfilling-feeling?

We have come close with some Usborne books, like Stories of WWI, and some smaller books like the Outrageous Women series by Vicki Leon. The Hakim books got high rotation in our house as well as the Disney's American Presidents videos, which tell the story through what was going on with each POTUS up through...I think Obama.  It's just little clips, but ds had his interest sparked and ended up falling down serious rabbit holes.

Anything else we found to be dismissive of women, or providential in nature, or utterly without minorities except for the Tokens. None of which would have been acceptable to have as a definitive story of the U.S.

Thanks so much! We’re patriotic people, so I don’t mind it to a degree. But we’re patriotic in the sense our country must continue to strive for its ideals. There are a many historical figures that get overlooked, but then I get overwhelmed wondering how to cover everything I’d like here at home. We’re pretty classical, and I feel like American history is not a focus at all. I’ll have to look for those videos. I looked at Hakim, and it too seemed like a lot— though the one I’ve looked at is four volumes, too. 

13 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Thanks so much! We’re patriotic people, so I don’t mind it to a degree. But we’re patriotic in the sense our country must continue to strive for its ideals. There are a many historical figures that get overlooked, but then I get overwhelmed wondering how to cover everything I’d like here at home. We’re pretty classical, and I feel like American history is not a focus at all. I’ll have to look for those videos. I looked at Hakim, and it too seemed like a lot— though the one I’ve looked at is four volumes, too. 

Hakim is, in my opinion, great for families who are patriotic but not jingoistic. The central thesis is that America is a great nation with wonderful ideals, and it is our patriotic duty to be constantly fighting to make us do better to achieve those ideals, that speaking out when people are oppressed or treated unequally is the American thing to do. It doesn't vilify or deify the founding fathers and takes time to discuss women and minorities in a more than token way. That being said, it is long! I'm not sure you could cover American history to any satisfactory depth with a short program, though. Perhaps you could choose a time frame of American history that you haven't covered much or are very interested in and use Hakim or something else for that.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Xahm said:

Hakim is, in my opinion, great for families who are patriotic but not jingoistic. The central thesis is that America is a great nation with wonderful ideals, and it is our patriotic duty to be constantly fighting to make us do better to achieve those ideals, that speaking out when people are oppressed or treated unequally is the American thing to do. It doesn't vilify or deify the founding fathers and takes time to discuss women and minorities in a more than token way. That being said, it is long! I'm not sure you could cover American history to any satisfactory depth with a short program, though. Perhaps you could choose a time frame of American history that you haven't covered much or are very interested in and use Hakim or something else for that.

Well, that just about sounds perfect!  I saw that there are so many volumes, and that is what concerned me.  Thank you very much!

• Like 2

Why not read Hakim the way MP spreads out the US readers? Just do 1-2 a year? My dh read all 10 before he became a US citizen. He loved them.

Anyone know how the 4 volume concise k12 series differs? I keep reading reviews that intimate the shorter version is more “liberal”. I am not a political person so really haven’t a clue.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I saw that there are so many volumes, and that is what concerned me.

There are a lot of volumes but they are short and have TONS of pictures, maps, sidebars, and such (too many for my brain to be able to focus but that's just me. Other people love that sort of thing) so it isn't 10 volumes of solid text.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Green Bean said:

No one?

I have both sets. I just haven't looked at the concise too closely after I decided the longer wouldn't be too long for us. What kind of information do you want? Like, difference in total length? What is left out? I can do through some, but I'd rather give info that will be useful to you instead of whatever randomness I happen to notice.

5 hours ago, Xahm said:

I have both sets. I just haven't looked at the concise too closely after I decided the longer wouldn't be too long for us. What kind of information do you want? Like, difference in total length? What is left out? I can do through some, but I'd rather give info that will be useful to you instead of whatever randomness I happen to notice.

I want to know if her words have been changed to reflect a different polictical view than the one she intended. The reviews I saw said it is heavily liberal and democratic leaning. I'm taking that to mean not patriotic and critical of the Founding Fathers. I know a ton was left out for sure. I like that it isn't as "busy" as the originals.

5 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I want to know if her words have been changed to reflect a different polictical view than the one she intended. The reviews I saw said it is heavily liberal and democratic leaning. I'm taking that to mean not patriotic and critical of the Founding Fathers. I know a ton was left out for sure. I like that it isn't as "busy" as the originals.

I'll grab them and look over a few sections to see if I notice anything.

• Like 1

Attached is a good example from the concise edition of how it approaches controversial topics, in this case the 2000 Supreme Court decision that made George W Bush president. The basic approach is the same as in other places in American history where people disagree. "Here's what one side says and why, here's what another side says. Here's what the nation seems to have learned. Thankfully we are in a great nation with a strong form of government that is able to be face problems and work to correct them." 

This particular chapter isn't in my 10 volume set because I guess I have an older edition that ends with Clinton's impeachment. In the chapters I skimmed, I could not find any substantial changes of attitude or perspective between the two.

16771808923943973936137886130366.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1