Menu

Foerster algebra vs videotext

countrymum

I am considering VideoText algebra or Foerster Algebra with the math without boarders videos. Can anybody give me a detailed review / experience with either of these?

Things like what kind of student, what kind of teacher (aka me;) how much practice and review, how good of explanations as to why and then how, ....

We have successfully used RightStart and math mammoth up to this point. I like the practice in math mammoth, the more independence in math mammoth, the discrete lessons and review in Rightstart, the great teaching in Rightstart. This is for many students as I would prefer to use the same algebra for as many as possible. Obviously I will decide each time for sure;) so far no one is super mathy here...

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at these materials. My older children graduated a few years ago. My oldest two are 18 months apart, so I did a lot of their subjects together. My oldest is a left-brained, math-minded, logical thinking student while the next was my right-brained artist who was not fond of any math. I used to sit with the younger and direct her as she worked on math while the oldest could learn on his own. 

We tested out more algebra programs than I would like to admit. My oldest used the Foerster’s Algebra and had the flash drive with all the lessons on it. I think he only used it for a few weeks before we sold it. I can not remember why it wasn’t a good fit. Both of them successfully completed VideoText Interactive Algebra. Although the video recordings are old, the visuals for the math concepts are very well done. The explanations were easy to understand, the lessons were short, and the assignments weren’t overwhelming. They both completed VT without complaint, and I remember being very impressed with their understanding of the concepts. I will use it again when my youngest is ready.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I think I answered most of those questions in our pm, but if you have any others let me know. Hope you get more responses! 🙂

What level of math mammoth do you finish before video text?

Edited by Lovinglife123

10 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

What level of math mammoth do you finish before video text?

We do MM 1-7 then directly into Video Text from there. There's a little bit of overlap between MM7 and the first module of Video Text, but I find MM to be such a great foundation that I don't want them to miss anything in it, and a little review from a different perspective is helpful.

• Like 1

@Lovinglife123 and anyone else;)

I am planning to complete Math Mammoth 7 as well. Overlap is a good thing particularly in the arithmetic to algebra time. I am watching sample videos from Math without boarders and videotext. I like the ramp up in videotext and the great explanation of dividing fractions that I saw. I liked the very clear math without boarders video as well ...son liked both. I am planning to watch all the other samples of both I can find. I decided against math u see it does look like and I'd rather go slowly through meaty and not get as far than do lite... I kinda want the same algebra for the test of my kids so I get really good at teaching it...which inmho is more important than which text is used.

Thank you @Momto6inIN@Mona for your reviews I would like to hear more for either curriculum.

• Like 2