Menu

Winter dog boots that will actually stay on for dog with arthritis?

My dog has arthritis and it’s so much worse in the winter. This winter it seems it’s going to be pretty bad. She’s only out for a tiny amount and starts limping. Tonight, she completely stopped walking and raised the two most painful legs. She hadn’t even gone to the bathroom yet so we have to figure something out.

She does take daily cosequin and has pain meds for when it gets bad but she just really struggles in the cold and snow. We’ve tried several kinds of dog boots and none have ever stayed on. She’s a chihuahua/corgi mix and has skinny little legs. 

Does anyone know of boots/socks that would stay on and work in the snow? I’m also open to other things that might help the arthritis in winter if you have suggestions. 

Does it only happen in the snow, or does it happen when it’s just cold also? Just trying to figure out how much might be due to snow compacting between her pads, which can be really painful and how much is just the cold itself, since the difference might dictate different solutions. I saw a dog in a pair of booties that looked to be staying on really well the other day. I will see if I can find. 

It’s just the cold. She gets the same way if she spends too much time on the tile floor or in the garage. This is just the worst it’s been outside in winter.  I mentioned the snow because they would need to be waterproof. 

Edited by Joker2

I’m still looking to see where I saw those dog boots. In the meantime, I turned up this pattern for them, if you happen to sew. Seems like you could use a good weight wind pro type fleece and they would protect her feet from moisture well enough for a potty break. And they would dry fast before the next outing. Oh, maybe a PUL outer layer? That would make them waterproof.

https://romprescue.com/2013/01/easy-diy-dog-boots/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe try somewhere like Thera-Paw that will make custom boots from your dog’s measurements.

The combo that really helps my arthritic dogs stay comfortable: Daily meds (Carprofen and Gabapentin) and supplements (Dasuquin and Hemp & Hips), and monthly Adequan injections.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Maybe try somewhere like Thera-Paw that will make custom boots from your dog’s measurements.

The combo that really helps my arthritic dogs stay comfortable: Daily meds (Carprofen and Gabapentin) and supplements (Dasuquin and Hemp & Hips), and monthly Adequan injections.

So, Carprofen can be daily? That’s what we’ve been giving when she’s obviously in pain but we’ve never been told it could be daily. I’ll definitely be asking vet about all of this. Thanks!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

So, Carprofen can be daily? That’s what we’ve been giving when she’s obviously in pain but we’ve never been told it could be daily. I’ll definitely be asking vet about all of this. Thanks!

Yep, mine get both Carprofen and Gabapentin 2x/day.

Our vet requires bloodwork every six months for dogs on Carprofen, just to make sure it isn't affecting the liver and kidneys. So far, none of my dogs have ever had a problem with it.

• Like 1

https://pawzdogboots.com/

We used these when the temperature was 20 or colder, when it seemed to bother our dog the most.    His front paws were sensitive to the coldness, so we only put them on the front as they are a little tricky to put on, but they sure worked for him, deep snow and all. (Stretch the opening then slide them up, being careful to stop just before the dewclaw. ) They are basically balloon material, but it's enough to keep the cold out, and prevents ice balls on the pads. We re-used each one until we absolutely had to throw it away, so they lasted a long time. 

If this doesn't fit your needs because of the arthritis, I wonder about a doggy type of potty, like this one:  https://pottypatch.com/    would help.     It could be placed out of the snow, like on a patio or in the garage. That way your dog will be out of the snow.  No experience with this, but it may be worth a try.

• Like 1