Menu

DS6 can Spell but not Read

mycalling

Well, today I used pictures and he had to spell the words and I wrote those on a small white board with the picture card next to it. Afterwards I took the picture cards away and we read them a few times through. Maybe if I keep doing that for a while, he'll catch on.:confused:

He also does copy work that we read together first then he repeats while he's writing them. We also did flash cards made from the Phonics Pathways book like wa, we, wi, wo, wu and we did all the l's, b's, m's, f's, r's, and t's today.

Edited by MyCalling

How can I get him to read? He spells just fine. Sounds out names of the pictures and can spell them, but can't read the same words unless he just spelled them himself. I don't know where to go from here.

Does he spell with the names of the letters or the sounds of the letters/letter combinations? The reason I ask is because it's easier to learn to read if you know the sounds of the letters/letter combinations - when reading, the names of the letters don't make sense if you are trying to sound out words. The way I teach spelling and reading is by the sounds first, then when they are comfortable with that process, I tell them the letter names (if they haven't already figured them out for themselves somehow through books or other kids or whatever).

He knows both and has since he turned 2. He sounds out each letter of the word and then names the letter.

Actually, he was able to blend sounds into words when he turned 4...BUT, my older son felt horrible since he couldn't read so my now-6yo pretended he couldn't either and that's how he's stayed for the last two years. His older brother learned to read last year so that's not a factor anymore. Could he have forgotten or actually lost that ability and now needs to start all over learning it? I figured this would be easy since it came so naturally two years ago.:glare:

He knows both and has since he turned 2.

Actually, he was able to blend sounds into words when he turned 4.......Could he have forgotten or actually lost that ability and now needs to start all over learning it? I figured this would be easy since it came so naturally two years ago.:glare:

Sounds like you've got it figured out! I think kids forget a lot of stuff between preschool and early elementary ages. So it sounds right to me that you probably just need to teach the sounds to him again and get him reading. But make it relevant - in other words, teach him the sounds and blends with whatever teaching materials you have, then have him practice reading on real books, not just picture cards. Or teach him a few sounds at a time, then have him read real books, then teach a few more sounds, then more reading practice on real books.

Edited by Colleen in NS

My second is this way. She can spell words in All About Spelling that she can't read. I used to believe in 100% phonics, until she turned 6. Then we started a more sight word approach. She is reading much better now. I still have her doing a phonics program, but instead of sounding out words she doesn't know, I sound them out for her and she copies me. All About Spelling does a good review of phonics and she already knew all the sounds, but for some reason her brain doesn't want to read that way. Since I changed our reading strategy, she has gone from early phonetic readers to I can Read books and Mr. Putter and Tabby. I considered stopping the AAS since she was spelling words she can't read, but then I remembered that there are whole programs based on that principle like Spalding and Spelling to Read and Write . . .

Jessi,

My 2nd dd was like that. In her case she is very tentative in personality, so she doesn't like to guess. She didn't do well with sounding out till we had covered the sounds so much she knew them cold. You would think her being able to spell she knew them, but when it came down to it she was much better at hearing a sound and remembering the letter than seeing a letter and remembering the sound.

Maybe they are more auditory learners vs. visual? I know my dd is.

Heather