Menu

Considering changing cell phone plan - any reviews on Google Fi?

Bambam

We, as a family, are considering changing our cell phone plan. 
One uses Tracfone  -uses very very little data, rarely even has phone on
Another uses Republic Wireless - has been happy with it, but DISH bought them out and things aren't as good as they used to be, uses some data but not excessive, has to pay for extra data 3-4 times per year
Remaining two use Hello Mobile - been happy mostly with it but customer service/help with issues is pretty much non-existent. These are much bigger data users

So, Google Fi looks interesting $80/4 lines, data slows after 35 GB, Hot Spot tethering 5GB/month. This last would be useful to both bigger data users. 

And one member needs a new phone, so the discount offers for moving to Google Fi also look tempting. 

But, I only know one person using Google Fi.  Anyone out there use it and can offer pros/cons/ don't-do-it-you-will-regret-it / best thing ever? 

TIA! 

26 minutes ago, Bambam said:

We, as a family, are considering changing our cell phone plan. 
One uses Tracfone  -uses very very little data, rarely even has phone on
Another uses Republic Wireless - has been happy with it, but DISH bought them out and things aren't as good as they used to be, uses some data but not excessive, has to pay for extra data 3-4 times per year
Remaining two use Hello Mobile - been happy mostly with it but customer service/help with issues is pretty much non-existent. These are much bigger data users

So, Google Fi looks interesting $80/4 lines, data slows after 35 GB, Hot Spot tethering 5GB/month. This last would be useful to both bigger data users. 

And one member needs a new phone, so the discount offers for moving to Google Fi also look tempting. 

But, I only know one person using Google Fi.  Anyone out there use it and can offer pros/cons/ don't-do-it-you-will-regret-it / best thing ever? 

TIA! 

My DH has been using it for a couple of years now.  He's pretty happy with it.  The rest of us use Tello and our 5 lines cost as much per month as his one but he does have more data than the rest of us and slightly better connectivity (when he got it he worked at a job that was way out in the boonies and there wasn't good coverage and FI was the best choice at the time, he's since switched jobs but just kept the cell plan).  Can't really say it's better or worse than others we've had when dealing with our normal stuff in the city we live in (aka not out in the boonies). Given my choice I'd have him switch to Tello for the cost savings but he doesn't like the idea of limiting his data in any way shape or form.

• Like 1

My dh & I use Google FI, very contentedly . . . but we're likely not typical cell phone users.
Our rural home doesn't have cell service, so we're 100% Wifi at home.
We are usually in range of some kind of free Wifi most of the time, when away from home, so we use very little Google FI Data.
Our nephew (also a Google FI customer) makes it a game to try to avoid using Data (to give you context).
My cousin travels internationally, & he was thrilled to step off the plane in Australia, and his Google FI phone worked great.

Our very thrifty son used Google FI for a year, but then went back to Mint Mobile, as he needed lots of Data.

We pay 1c for every MB of data, which we use easily while traveling (for Google traffic) for example.
My understanding is that the Google FI network uses the surplus of the T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks.

As a result, Google FI is not available everywhere in rural areas, but we're not super dependent on cell phone use.
We prefer to save the money.  We pay $44 per month for 2 phones, plus Data Usage.
(And we don't pay for our kids' cell phones, so that they are nudged into making those decisions themselves.)

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...