Menu

Filling Math Gaps before Pre-Algebra (Bridgeway Math or UnLock Math Foundations?)

carruthhome

We have started transitioning our children to a classical private school for high school that is a university model (3 days in class/2 days at home). Based on how my 9th grader is doing so far, I am seeing where I likely need to shore things up for my 7th grader and younger children. I am wondering if anyone has used Bridgeway Math (from Curriclum Express) or UnLock Math Foundations to fill in any gaps before starting Pre-Algebra. If so, how did you like them? I am leaning towards UnLock Math since he could just move onto Pre-Algebra if he is able to move through the Foundations quickly.

Other things I've considered are adaptive, online programs like iXL or ALEKS (their school uses ALEKS for the math assessment if they haven't had any standardized tests), but I don't think those have enough instruction to fill in those gaps well.

If you have experience with any of these or something else, I'd love to hear your feedback.

I don't have any experience with any of those. Fwiw, most full prealgebra courses will review the needed arithmetic while throwing in negatives and more complicated equations. 

The prealg from College of the Redwoods may work for straight arithmetic. It's free pdf downloads. The title is prealg but it's really just a simple arithmetic recap and not challenging. Instruction is minimal but it would give you a good overview of any holes that need filling. 

A more challenging course than that would be the BCM textbook by Lial. Basic College Mathematics. The prealg textbook by the same author does the same thing, with negatives and exponents tossed in near the beginning. 

(Another fwiw, I found a pass through Hands on Equations was invaluable for getting kids super comfy with equations. It's a supplement. I'd use the main course and follow with the verbal problems book.)

Edited by SilverMoon