Menu

Please help my daughter brainstorm for her assignment - developmental program for 10yo's

Hannah

Please help my daughter brainstorm a one-day developmental program for a dozen 10yo's.

It needs to include at least 2x psychosocial development activities (she was thinking to include one as an introductory ice-breaker during circle time), 2x cognitive activities, 2x physical activities.  The assumption is that the children do not know each other.  Social distancing needs to be maintained.  It is assumed that a hall will be available, but no other resources other than what the activity leader provides herself, so needs to be budget friendly.

She has found many suggestions for camp activities and classroom activities, but is struggling to decide what would be appropriate.  This is a small portion of a larger assignment, but she seems to be overwhelmed by the choice.

Does it have to have a unifying theme?  

for  example:  Emotions 

psychosocial activity:  skittles emotional game:  pull a candy out of a bag. 
If red: share something that makes you happy 

if orange- something that makes you sad 

if green- something that makes you mad

if yellow- something that makes you excited 

if purple- something that makes you afraid. 

(This was on Pinterest. Could also roll a dice and assign each number an emotion. ). 

Cognitive activity-  Cause and effect activity based on fairy tales. For example:  Pinocchio lied-  (effect) his nose grew

The clock struck midnight- (effect) Cinderella had to flee home 

Physical activity- a fast paced version of “if you’re happy and you know if “ etc. Fast to make it silly and not babyish. 

(it’s 3 m for me and I just picked a unifying topic and some quick examples. Perhaps this will get her thinking. ). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

(it’s 3 m for me and I just picked a unifying topic and some quick examples. Perhaps this will get her thinking. ). 

It needn't have a unifying theme, but that does make it more cohesive. 

Thank you very much Jean, it has got her thinking!

Something like this could work for a game - Statues

Or a dance game with poses: Freeze

Searching for PE Games, brings up a lot of different options

One psychosocial game we do in our school is a neat one that the kids really get into. Everyone stands in a big circle and the facilitator starts calling out descriptions. "Everyone who prefers cats to dogs take a big step forward" for example. The kids step forward and, in doing so, learn who else likes cats. She does silly ones and more personal-ish ones. Like, "If you are an only child, step forward." or "If you love pineapple on your pizza, step forward." The neat part of the game is that whenever only 1 person steps forward or 1 person is left behind in the circle, everyone claps and takes a second to acknowledge their uniqueness. She doesn't ask anything embarrassing - its designed to be a fun game to help kids find people that are like them and also to embrace unique traits. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

One psychosocial game we do in our school is a neat one that the kids really get into. Everyone stands in a big circle and the facilitator starts calling out descriptions. 

Thank you Amanda! I just mentioned this to Dd and it is the perfect opening activity.  She was thinking of a similar one called 'A big wind blows' which is a version of musical chairs, but this is a lot more intentional.

• Like 1