Menu

TGTB REVISED science units (spiral bound + student journals)

Ting Tang

To my frustration, the spiral bound revised science units still have pages that need to be cut apart.  The first one we planned to do is Reptiles, Amphibians, and Fish.  There are so many pages that need to be either photocopied and cut apart or just cut apart.  They are very colorful.  I thought I would just go ahead and cut them out of the spiral bound book.  Photocopies would use a lot of ink, plus it's a little awkward sticking a spiral bound book on my tray.

What are you all doing?

I guess I do not see the advantage of spiral bound units if you still need to remove/cut/etc. from those books.  I thought the student journals would have those pieces, but no.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

To my frustration, the spiral bound revised science units still have pages that need to be cut apart.  The first one we planned to do is Reptiles, Amphibians, and Fish.  There are so many pages that need to be either photocopied and cut apart or just cut apart.  They are very colorful.  I thought I would just go ahead and cut them out of the spiral bound book.  Photocopies would use a lot of ink, plus it's a little awkward sticking a spiral bound book on my tray.

What are you all doing?

I guess I do not see the advantage of spiral bound units if you still need to remove/cut/etc. from those books.  I thought the student journals would have those pieces, but no.

This was why I ended up just printing myself, lol. (I have an ink tank style printer so ink is pretty darn cheap)

In your case I'd go ahead and just cut it out, unless you plan on reusing with younger kids. 

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

This was why I ended up just printing myself, lol. (I have an ink tank style printer so ink is pretty darn cheap)

In your case I'd go ahead and just cut it out, unless you plan on reusing with younger kids. 

I think I will, lol.  Perhaps I will be able to keep it all organized and still reuse them.  I was hoping the student journals took care of everything that needed to be cut and whatnot. I guess I misunderstood, lol. I also thought the PDFs came with units.  Maybe they used to and no longer do?  Or I got some special before?

14 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I think I will, lol.  Perhaps I will be able to keep it all organized and still reuse them.  I was hoping the student journals took care of everything that needed to be cut and whatnot. I guess I misunderstood, lol. I also thought the PDFs came with units.  Maybe they used to and no longer do?  Or I got some special before?

They have a package you can get with both, but it costs more I think. 

• Like 1

in another annoyance, I was looking at one lesson and the teachers manual has stuff to read about various sites where dinosaur fossils have been found. One letter in each place name is in a different color, and the students are supposed to write that letter in their student journal and use the letters to spell out a dinosaur name. Except, I have 3 kids, and they can't ALL sit next to me to see the guide as I read it! And it isn't big letters, it's in the normal header font used in the book, so me just holding it up isn't really a great way to do it, and I can't read it and hold it up facing them. 

19 hours ago, ktgrok said:

in another annoyance, I was looking at one lesson and the teachers manual has stuff to read about various sites where dinosaur fossils have been found. One letter in each place name is in a different color, and the students are supposed to write that letter in their student journal and use the letters to spell out a dinosaur name. Except, I have 3 kids, and they can't ALL sit next to me to see the guide as I read it! And it isn't big letters, it's in the normal header font used in the book, so me just holding it up isn't really a great way to do it, and I can't read it and hold it up facing them. 

grrrr!  That is frustrating.  I've always much preferred my material be separate from the kids.  Their curriculum is just so pretty, though.  We haven't officially started with science, and I haven't found where it suggests the read alouds, which are optional. I assume that is on our own time?  

49 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

grrrr!  That is frustrating.  I've always much preferred my material be separate from the kids.  Their curriculum is just so pretty, though.  We haven't officially started with science, and I haven't found where it suggests the read alouds, which are optional. I assume that is on our own time?  

Yes its on your own time but sometimes it says if you want to read one of the additional books that such and such is a good one for this lesson.

As for the new units I do not get the change? I think its more chaotic personally than the older units because there is a ton of stuff to cut out and now we have some in journals and the course book. I see people getting to excited about it being open and go and I'm like, ummmm, its no different! Just harder to organize now.

I do like that they have streamlined the lessons more though, some of the older units were SO wordy and long to read that "I" got bored, lol!

• Like 1

Just now, seemesew said:

Yes its on your own time but sometimes it says if you want to read one of the additional books that such and such is a good one for this lesson.

As for the new units I do not get the change? I think its more chaotic personally than the older units because there is a ton of stuff to cut out and now we have some in journals and the course book. I see people getting to excited about it being open and go and I'm like, ummmm, its no different! Just harder to organize now.

I do like that they have streamlined the lessons more though, some of the older units were SO wordy and long to read that "I" got bored, lol!

Thanks! Thumbing through it, I didn't see any suggestions for the books.  As for the cutouts, the revised reptile unit has so much of it.  😞  I still think it will be good for us, though a pain.  

21 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Thanks! Thumbing through it, I didn't see any suggestions for the books.  As for the cutouts, the revised reptile unit has so much of it.  😞  I still think it will be good for us, though a pain.  

I haven't done the updated one for that yet but in Paleontology it said something about it after lesson 3 at the beginning after/just below it lists the supplies so maybe its at the beginning in yours? It still might not be though I don't remember them being mentioned in the older ones.

Edited by seemesew
  • Like 1