Menu

North Myrtle Beach advice?

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Good news: My in-laws gifted us a condo for a 10 day trip to north Myrtle Beach next week. 

Bad news: They rented a three bedroom condo for themselves so they could bring my parents along(my parents and DH’s parents are staying in one condo together). Two of my sisters, as well as DH’s sister and her husband, are also coming. They all get along and will share another three bedroom unit.

To be clear, we are close to everyone and thankful my parents and in laws are friends. Both sets of my grandparents didn’t get along and things were awkward. However, my mom talks all the time and overshares to an embarrassing point. Strangers do not need to hear about your food allergies and how you’ve given up your life to take care of your elderly parents. Nobody cares, but she doesn’t realize that. She wasn’t always like that, but I think for the last five or six years my grandparents needed so much care that she’s stopped socializing and lost social skills.

Fortunately for all my FIL loves to talk and listen and they have a great time together. My MIL and dad don’t like to talk and so they also have a great time sitting in silence reading books.  But I’m going to go crazy.  We’re going to have to get out of the condo complex some.

DH hates crowds(unless it’s a country music concert) and everything touristy. I like museums and historical sites. We’ll have at least one date night because all the grandparents have joyously claimed the kids for at least one night.  Where can we go? Where can we escape to that’s quiet and peaceful?  Google is only turning up super touristy things.

(To be clear, we are very grateful for both the trip and that our families like each other so much. We just like very quiet and non touristy things. We usually camp at a secluded campsite or rent a house on a quiet lake.)

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle

Would walking to the kindred spirit mailbox in Sunset Beach appeal to you? It’s a longish walk, but enjoyable.  It existed long before Nicholas Sparks wrote about it, and it can be cool to read some letters that have been left, or leave your own.  I enjoy solitary walks on the beach, but it might not be your thing. 

6 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

If you don't like crowds or entertainment type stuff then shift north and not south. Sunset or Holden beach or even Oak Island. Avoid Myrtle itself. 

They’ve already rented the condos right on N. Myrtle.  DH and I don’t mind driving a bit to get away for a couple afternoons/evenings though. 

17 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Would walking to the kindred spirit mailbox in Sunset Beach appeal to you? It’s a longish walk, but enjoyable.  It existed long before Nicholas Sparks wrote about it, and it can be cool to read some letters that have been left, or leave your own.  I enjoy solitary walks on the beach, but it might not be your thing. 

This sounds amazing! I’ve never heard of it.  Off to google….

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

They’ve already rented the condos right on N. Myrtle.  DH and I don’t mind driving a bit to get away for a couple afternoons/evenings though. 

This sounds amazing! I’ve never heard of it.  Off to google….

sorry that wasn't clear, I meant for day trips or whatever. People tend to go south toward myrtle because there is more entertainment but if you go north toward sunset beach you may enjoy that more 🙂 

• Like 4