Menu

Curricula en français

Roscoe

I'd like to know your recommendations for curricula for grammar, spelling, mathematics, science, history spines, logic...in French. Basically, anything but second-language instruction. She's only six weeks old yet (photo included because I am one of Those Papas) so I have some time, but I've looked over Amazon offerings and they're mighty slim, especially for math and science. My wife and I are bilingual but our little Sprout reacts quicker to the sound of French than English or Hebrew, and my wife has acknowledged that French is functionally the Sprout's mother tongue, so I would like to teach some subjects in her mother tongue as well as in English.

IMG_0435-2.jpg

France has a set national curriculum, but with multiple textbook publishers.  I’ve found most French textbooks to be very high quality, which makes sense as they are all cover the same topics and are therefore competing directly with each other.  Amazon.fr is very easy and very reliable.  They don’t always have as many extracts available from the books as the publishers’ own websites.

Canada is another source of materials worth investigating.  Scholastic Canada publishes a lot of the Scholastic kids books in French.  However, Scholastic Canada won’t sell these books in the US, and you can’t order them from Amazon.ca.   I’ve been able to find most of what I want used on ThriftBooks.  I’ve also found a lot of Usborne books in French there as well.

Don’t forget Disney+ as a great source of kid content in French.  Almost all of their content is available in French dub.

Also consider a subscription to a kids magazine.  The ones from Bayard Jeunesse are lovely and they have ones even for the smallest kids.

https://www.bayard-jeunesse.com/magazines-1-5-ans.html

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

France has a set national curriculum, but with multiple textbook publishers.  I’ve found most French textbooks to be very high quality, which makes sense as they are all cover the same topics and are therefore competing directly with each other.  Amazon.fr is very easy and very reliable.  They don’t always have as many extracts available from the books as the publishers’ own websites.

Ah, I had thought Amazon.fr was set up like Amazon.ca and similarly barred from ordering. I'll take a closer look at their textbook offerings. Should have realized too that Usborne would have French translations (being a British company). I'm bookmarking Bayard Jeunesse for when she's ready.