Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~July 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

Life has been busy and we've had some wins and loses.  

With the exception of one small fix on the builder's end and couple of 5 minute projects on my end (I just need to buy the correct caulk), our sunroom is finally finish.  We signed the contract on June 26 last year, were told it was a 6-8 week project and would be finished late December to early January.  It's been ridiculously long, slightly over budget (but not nearly as bad as I feared), but I absolutely LOVE the space.  There is someone out there the majority of the day reading, relaxing, playing with dogs.  Plus I redid the landscaping around it and turned into a raised bed and I'm very much enjoy the extra produce form my increased space.

One of my dogs got quite sick in May, never really found out why but after many emergency rehydration treatments and 6 different meds she recovered.  6 weeks later she starting getting sick again with the exact same symptoms.  Immediately took her to the ER, another futile attempt to actually get any testing done so we have no idea what is wrong but she did turn around quicker but all told we ended up with about $2500 unplanned vet expenses.  VET ER is way more stressful than human ER because they don't actually have to see you if they deem themselves too busy.  I have every vet ER in our area saved as a contact because they just keep making you call around till you find someone willing to see your pet.  I have no idea what is making her sick, so I'm still on edge waiting for her to relapse again and then when I see her drink water I breathe a sigh of relief and know at least for now she is ok.

My best deal of late was the Stasher storage bags I bought on sale for Prime days.  I love those bags so was happy to find a 7 pack with all the sizes I was wanting on sale.  The sent a 4 pack.  I did a return/replacment, they sent me a 4 pack again.  I contacted customer service, they said they would try again but expected I would probably get a 4 pack again.  I said the 2 4 packs were close to the sizes in the 7 pack bundle so the customer service said to hold on to the second order till the third arrived.  If they got it right the 3rd time, I could return the second but if it was wrong again, I could contact customer service and see if I could just keep both in exchange for what I order.  3rd set arrived today and was still a 4 pack.  However customer service said they would refund my purchase in full AND I got to keep both 4 pack bundles.  Super happy with that cause these bags aren't cheap but I love not throwing away so much trash plus they keep my produce fresh so much longer.  

Garden has been slow to produce but things are starting to come in.  I'm doing everything I can to keep groceries low as it's one of the few areas I can control the outflow.  My dream goal is to have the sunroom paid off by the end of 2023 however, eldest is getting married in Las Vegas next spring so we will rack up quite a bit of expenses just getting there and back (we are driving because it's still cheaper than flying everyone) so I've got to save up money while trying to pay down a loan as soon as possible.  Completely conflicting goals but it is the way it goes.

• Like 4

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Life has been busy and we've had some wins and loses.  

With the exception of one small fix on the builder's end and couple of 5 minute projects on my end (I just need to buy the correct caulk), our sunroom is finally finish.  We signed the contract on June 26 last year, were told it was a 6-8 week project and would be finished late December to early January.  It's been ridiculously long, slightly over budget (but not nearly as bad as I feared), but I absolutely LOVE the space.  There is someone out there the majority of the day reading, relaxing, playing with dogs.  Plus I redid the landscaping around it and turned into a raised bed and I'm very much enjoy the extra produce form my increased space.

One of my dogs got quite sick in May, never really found out why but after many emergency rehydration treatments and 6 different meds she recovered.  6 weeks later she starting getting sick again with the exact same symptoms.  Immediately took her to the ER, another futile attempt to actually get any testing done so we have no idea what is wrong but she did turn around quicker but all told we ended up with about $2500 unplanned vet expenses.  VET ER is way more stressful than human ER because they don't actually have to see you if they deem themselves too busy.  I have every vet ER in our area saved as a contact because they just keep making you call around till you find someone willing to see your pet.  I have no idea what is making her sick, so I'm still on edge waiting for her to relapse again and then when I see her drink water I breathe a sigh of relief and know at least for now she is ok.

My best deal of late was the Stasher storage bags I bought on sale for Prime days.  I love those bags so was happy to find a 7 pack with all the sizes I was wanting on sale.  The sent a 4 pack.  I did a return/replacment, they sent me a 4 pack again.  I contacted customer service, they said they would try again but expected I would probably get a 4 pack again.  I said the 2 4 packs were close to the sizes in the 7 pack bundle so the customer service said to hold on to the second order till the third arrived.  If they got it right the 3rd time, I could return the second but if it was wrong again, I could contact customer service and see if I could just keep both in exchange for what I order.  3rd set arrived today and was still a 4 pack.  However customer service said they would refund my purchase in full AND I got to keep both 4 pack bundles.  Super happy with that cause these bags aren't cheap but I love not throwing away so much trash plus they keep my produce fresh so much longer.  

Garden has been slow to produce but things are starting to come in.  I'm doing everything I can to keep groceries low as it's one of the few areas I can control the outflow.  My dream goal is to have the sunroom paid off by the end of 2023 however, eldest is getting married in Las Vegas next spring so we will rack up quite a bit of expenses just getting there and back (we are driving because it's still cheaper than flying everyone) so I've got to save up money while trying to pay down a loan as soon as possible.  Completely conflicting goals but it is the way it goes.

Aww, I am so happy your sun room is done and you guys love it!  Yay.  I am sorry it took so long.  

Your poor pup.  Sending some get well thoughts her way.  I hope she is done being sick. 

Congrats to your oldest!!!  So exciting.  Something fun to look forward to!

10 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Thanks for the heads-up. We usually go big on Lego for Christmas for DS14. I'm going to look through the link and see if there's anything we should grab now before prices go up!

I am thinking of doing the same thing.  I looked last night and didn't see a lot of new sets since last Christmas that my kids would be into.  Only things that I saw they might like is some new Harry Potter sets

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am thinking of doing the same thing.  I looked last night and didn't see a lot of new sets since last Christmas that my kids would be into.  Only things that I saw they might like is some new Harry Potter sets

I am leaning toward the Mario Cube and/or Globe. Both are pretty cool! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I am leaning toward the Mario Cube and/or Globe. Both are pretty cool! 

I think the Globe is so cool.  My oldest I think only enjoys putting things together.  All the other ones want something that they can play with, but they also want a really huge set to challenge them too.  

I was just looking at the sets coming out soon.  Did you see the Atari?  Ahh memories.

Edited by mommyoffive

On 7/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, mommyoffive said:

I think the Globe is so cool.  My oldest I think only enjoys putting things together.  All the other ones want something that they can play with, but they also want a really huge set to challenge them too.  

I was just looking at the sets coming out soon.  Did you see the Atari?  Ahh memories.

My kiddo also only wants sets to build, not play with. It makes me cringe a bit when I think about the price of the sets that challenge him, but oh well. He really enjoys it. 

The Atari looks really cool!

• Like 1

End of month reconciliation going on here..... 

I went $500 over on groceries in June, and I came in $500 under this month, so I am back to net goodness on the budget in my groceries category. I have no regrets about stocking up when I did in June because July grocery prices have been higher. I still have a lot of what I bought in June left in the freezer, so I didn't just wash out in food consumption either.

Lactose free milk continues to be hard to find, and oat milk is crazy expensive (WHY?) so I bought a nut milk bag and I'm going to try making my own. I'm going to continue buying lactose free milk when I can find it, but I need a backup plan for when I can't. 

Our new roof is on, and we're waiting on our permit from the county for our solar.  Our break even point for solar will be in year 11 at our current rates, but we anticipate rates are going to increase enough that our break even will be a couple of years before then.  

----

Gasoline is $4.76 at Costco, 10-20c higher a gallon at grocery stores, and 20-30c on top of that at the independent gas stations. It's weird we're seeing such a wide spread on pricing, but it makes me glad for my Costco membership.

• Like 2