Menu

TGTB LA dilemma

Janeway

My rising 2nd grader has been struggling through level 1. He is on the spectrum and has a "written communication" learning disability. However, in math and areas that would affect math and science and such (such as visual spatial, etc) he rates very very high, as in, highest scores possible. He hit the top limit of the tests. On the testing, it said his phonetic awareness was right at average (I actually have a copy of the test results but am trying to summarize). But, he hates to write and any time anything involves writing, he gets upset and does not want to do it. He does not have dyslexia I have been told. 

The new TGTB LA1 was released last week. I was ready to give up on TGTB. I also use it along side OPGTR and Spelling Workout. But even in spelling workout A, we have stalled out at week 13 or so. And for the LA, we are only at lesson 17 despite working on it all year. I have been casual and relaxed about it, letting him do what he is comfortable with. But, I have been requiring something, even if it is just reading aloud to us that day. I downloaded the new TGTB LA1. It really is way better. I have not been printing it because he still has the other books that he writes in as well as handwriting and such. 

My current plan is to continue to do TGTB LA 1 new edition verbally and when ready, return to the older one, the one I already paid for, and do that one on paper. And finish the Spelling Workout as we have already been using that too so it is not like I could sell it or even give it away likely. 

My question is, should I completely abandon the TGTB LA 1 old edition? See if I can give it away? And then start printing the stuff from the new edition? And should I sell off my unused TGTB LA 2 and buy the new one when it comes out? I am kind of leaning toward continuing to do everything verbally and see how I feel later, but, I am guessing once the new edition of LA 2 comes out, I won't be able to sell it. Plus, I wonder if I am wasting our time and energy working through the older book when it seems the newer one is so much better.

(A-get rid of both LA 1 and LA 2, and switch completely over to the new editions; B-continue to work with what I have for LA 1, but sell off the LA 2 and plan to get the new edition; C-things can change with time, just keep the level 2 I have now and continue to do what I am doing and see how I feel once level 1 is done).

Since DS has specific special needs in some areas and is advanced in others, an "all in one" program is unlikely to be a good fit.

- it will not appropriately support and teach to the special LA needs
- it will not provide advanced level work for the accelerated level needed for math and science
- it will require MUCH more parent work for all the tweaking and adapting required to adjust everything to the child's various needs

Also, JMO, but continuing to use a program that is not really meeting needs just because you have it, or have used it and can't resell it, or because it  gives you access to a newer "shinier" edition, does not sound like it will address the child's LDs, either.

Speaking from my own experience of having to buy and dump NUMEROUS spelling, writing, and math programs in grades 1-4 for DS#2 with LDs, moving forward was difficult until I found a number of very different programs, each specific to a subject area, that each fit DS's learning style and learning level.

From your testing results, do you have suggested programs or methods of instruction or therapies that would help DS? If so, I would run with that, or find something similar in presentation. And I would support his accelerated math/science with programs that would allow him to explore and move at his advanced pace.

I know that's probably not what you were hoping to hear, but it's best to have someone be truthful and "rip the bandaid" off quickly, so you can more quickly get on track with what helps DS.

BEST of luck in quickly finding what best fits for DS, works for you, and fits your budget. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I have taught several older kids to read, on my 6th reader.  I just downloaded the new TGATB K and 1 last week.  I do think its program that would be good for some learners,  but not all.  I like the Booster Cards and plan to print those and I bought the Nature Readers.  Otherwise, I'm sticking to a straight phonics program.  AAR doesn't include writing,  only reading.  LoE includes writing if you want, but its not required.   GATB has a lot of writing, and if your kiddo isn't ready, I can see that slowing down reading progress.  I think you should sell all TGATB and get AAR- probably level 1.  I think the letter tiles may be a better way to "write" words and show his knowledge.   I also have LoE, but would not suggest it for a child who isn't moving quickly in phonics- there isn't a lot of reading.  It does have great games, though!  

Separate reading and writing- if he isn't ready to write a lot, doodle, draw, and do things to strengthen his muscles and work on fine motor skills.  

The best advice I ever received from a homeschool mom was that some curriculum wasn't going to work.  Tey tweaking it, but if it isnt working sell it and try something else.  There are so many other options, don't stress yourself out pushing through a program that just isn't working.