Menu

(x-post) Advanced classes on the transcript

I posted this on the high school board, but realized that this might be the better place to post it.

If you do a college level math course (such as linear algebra, multi-variable calculus, discrete math, etc.) at home (rather than DE), and you use a college level textbook, how to you denote that on your transcript?

Do you weight the grade +1.0 (same as AP or DE courses) or +0.5 (same as honors)?

If the course is typically a semester long 3-4 credit college course, and you finish it in a semester at home, do you give it 0.5 credits (as it took half a year) or 1.0 credits (as it would be worth if you took it as a DE course)?

I would treat it like a DE course, for both credit amount and weighting. The content and scope of the course are at that level.

(This is not something I've dealt with yet, but the same scenario is quite possibly in our future, so I have considered it.)

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 2

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to give it that extra weight.  Just copy the cover and table of contents for your file in case your learner needs it for future placement.  Colleges typically reweight the gpa anyhow, so you really can’t go wrong as long as you have a legitimate explanation. 

• Like 2