Menu

I chose our math curriculum for the upcoming year, and we're all happy about it.

Ting Tang

My three older children will be doing Singapore math.  I was a bit weary early on about using a more conceptual math, but we've received all of the materials, and I am very impressed with the Teacher Guides.  I did choose the Teacher Guides over the Home Instructor Guides---they were better priced. My oldest is going to do the Primary Standards grade 6 and the two middles will do Dimensions grades 2 and 4. 

The kids are really happy about what they look like and seem so excited about it.  

I do think I am going to look into a book for myself about the methodology.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yay!  I switched up ds's math curriculum this past year and held my breath.  It was the first time it was my choice and not his.  While he wasn't a fan of aspects (didn't like the videos, or the manipulatives), it ended up being a really good year for him and had him gain a ton more confidence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HomeAgain said:

Yay!  I switched up ds's math curriculum this past year and held my breath.  It was the first time it was my choice and not his.  While he wasn't a fan of aspects (didn't like the videos, or the manipulatives), it ended up being a really good year for him and had him gain a ton more confidence.

That is fantastic!  I feel like my older two didn't get much out of their math curriculums last year at all.  😞  They're both repeating grade levels, but this math looks so different.  Plus it is colorful, which for them is a bonus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

That is fantastic!  I feel like my older two didn't get much out of their math curriculums last year at all.  😞  They're both repeating grade levels, but this math looks so different.  Plus it is colorful, which for them is a bonus.

And you know, that counts a LOT. It's not so much about the grade levels but about really gaining mastery.  Plus, going at something from different angles is so beneficial! 

DS repeated about 1/3 of the material this year from last year, but with a different focus.  It was the nice part about switching, having him say "I know that!" and be more independent with his work.  It was really, really teacher heavy up until this year.

Thanks for the "Elementary Math for Teachers" rec! There's now one fewer cheap copy for sale on the internet.

On the topic, I read "Why Before How: Singapore Math Computation Strategies" and was unimpressed. That one's for implementing Singapore Math in a trendy public school. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jboo said:

Thanks for the "Elementary Math for Teachers" rec! There's now one fewer cheap copy for sale on the internet.

On the topic, I read "Why Before How: Singapore Math Computation Strategies" and was unimpressed. That one's for implementing Singapore Math in a trendy public school. 

I will avoid that second one, lol.

• 4 months later...

Just to follow up, I read through part of Elementary Math for Teachers before I misplaced it, and thought it was quite good - a very detailed guide to elementary math. I certainly learned things, and would like to find it again.

Another book well worth looking at is "Step-By-Step Model Drawing: Solving Word Problems the Singapore Way", which *really* made the bar modeling process much more clear.  For the first part of the book, you're given set of problems that cover all the ways one might use bar models, walks you through how to solve each problems, and provides a "teaching script" to explain to your students. Second part gives you a similar set of problems to work out on your own, and then you can look in the back to see the author's solution/student explanations. See one, do one, all that's left is to teach one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jboo said:

Just to follow up, I read through part of Elementary Math for Teachers before I misplaced it, and thought it was quite good - a very detailed guide to elementary math. I certainly learned things, and would like to find it again.

Another book well worth looking at is "Step-By-Step Model Drawing: Solving Word Problems the Singapore Way", which *really* made the bar modeling process much more clear.  For the first part of the book, you're given set of problems that cover all the ways one might use bar models, walks you through how to solve each problems, and provides a "teaching script" to explain to your students. Second part gives you a similar set of problems to work out on your own, and then you can look in the back to see the author's solution/student explanations. See one, do one, all that's left is to teach one.

Thanks so much!  I am finding as I read through the notes before each chapter, it has been very helpful for my understanding.  We ended up switching the oldest to CLE, but the middle kids are still using Dimensions.  I really really really like it. My 4th grader struggles, but I would expect it to be that way for any math curriculum.  I like that Dimensions presents concepts in multiple ways, such as multi digit multiplication. I do think it helps with his understanding.  The lessons are quite long, but it provides the amount he probably needs to figure things out.  I just love it. I am wondering if Dimensions 6 would be a good fit for my oldest who is doing CLE?  He is redoing a lot of math he's learned, but I feel like it is a good opportunity for him to work on being more detail-oriented.