Menu

How would you put this on a transcript?

My dd did DE at a local college this semester. She took Biology and Biology lab (2 classes) and received two different grades (A for the lecture and B for the lab). I originally put it on her transcript as Biology and lab with an * designating it in the notes as DE, and put 1 credit. However, with different grades, how do I do that? The lab wouldn't carry any credit on its own on the high school transcript, so I can't just put the B with 0 credit... I can average the grades together which would give her an A average...but I hesitate to do that because the DE transcript will be submitted to colleges as well and they will see the B... maybe I am overcomplicating this? Ideas?

If these are two separate college classes, I would list them both separately on the highschool transcript.
You can absolutely list the lab with no credit - colleges do it all the time, where one component of the course carries all the credit and the lab none.
If this was a full lab course, you can also award a separate half credit to the lab.

You can also decide to give her an A for "highschool biology with lab" and be done. The college will send a separate transcript.

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

If these are two separate college classes, I would list them both separately on the highschool transcript.
You can absolutely list the lab with no credit - colleges do it all the time, where one component of the course carries all the credit and the lab none.
If this was a full lab course, you can also award a separate half credit to the lab.

You can also decide to give her an A for "highschool biology with lab" and be done. The college will send a separate transcript.

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I am not an expert at all, but I would list both on your transcript like PP said.  A for 1 credit and B for 0 credits.

If I do list them separately, how does a 0 credit course fit into GPA calculations? At the college, the lecture was 3 credits and the lab 1. 

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

it does not

This is probably my primary concern. DD is in 11th grade. A considerable amount of outsourced classes (at  least a few each year) as well as DE classes through Liberty this fall, and has an unweighted GPA of 4.0. If I put the lab with 0 credits as a B, it would be her only B and yet she would still have a 4.0? Seems sketchy, lol

Just now, ByGrace3 said:

This is probably my primary concern. DD is in 11th grade. A considerable amount of outsourced classes (at  least a few each year) as well as DE classes through Liberty this fall, and has an unweighted GPA of 4.0. If I put the lab with 0 credits as a B, it would be her only B and yet she would still have a 4.0? Seems sketchy, lol

If the college class is 3 credits for the lecture and 1 credit for the lab, you can also simply divide the 1 high school credit and give 0.75 credits with a grade of A for the lecture and 0.25 credits with a grade of B for the lab. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

If the college class is 3 credits for the lecture and 1 credit for the lab, you can also simply divide the 1 high school credit and give 0.75 credits with a grade of A for the lecture and 0.25 credits with a grade of B for the lab. 

I had not considered that... may be the best option. She worked her tail off for that B so I think we are all annoyed at the structure of that class. She still has one more grade to post so if she gets a B in there, it might soften the blow of the standout lab B :lol:

On 4/22/2022 at 4:32 PM, regentrude said:

This is what I did in a similar situation with different grades in two credit bearing courses. 

In the course description, I explained the 1 high school credit was comprised of the two college courses and the weight for each in the high school gpa.

It was a weighted course on my hs transcript, because I weight college courses. 

Colleges didn't seem to have any issue with this.