Menu

TOPS science, Tiner and an encyclopedia? Enough for 5-8

lulalu

I have been looking at science for middle school. I looked at Apologia, but I think it looks dry (we could make it work, but I feel it is a lot to invest right now and would rather wait until high school). And I was looking at Sonlight. I like the looks of Sonlight science for middle school. 

However, after looking at Sonlight I looked more at TOPScience. I feel like these would really be perfect for DS. So would it be enough to have three or so TOPS units, a corresponding Tiner book, and the Kingfisher Science encyclopedia? Would that make a well rounded science for middle school? And would it be enough? I would have DS write throughout the units. 

Edited by lulalu

• lulalu changed the title to TOPS science, Tiner and an encyclopedia? Enough for 5-8

I've used all 3 of those resource (not together), and my thought is that it would be...hmmm.... disjointed... But, yes, I suppose you could combine those 3 resources and make your own science.

I personally am NOT big on having my students write their way through science. (Nothing wrong with an occasional research paper/informational essay that is on a science topic -- I just saw science as being much more effective when we did a lot of hands-on, field trips, educational videos & documentaries, and books/resources to go deeper into topics.)

re: TOPS
We did a number of TOPS units -- they are hit and miss. Some are great, some okay, some were a bust. There is NO instruction or information with these -- just a few short guided questions for doing a series of activities/experiments. That can be fine for your hands-on. I strongly recommend getting the supply kits to go with these, but it is expensive and a major PAIN to collect the HUGE amount of supplies needed for a single unit. And it looks like fewer of the units have supply kits to go with them anymore. I would want a more cohesive + detailed spine for TOPS to be the hands-on element (that Kingfisher and Titer would not do, IMO).

TOPS units we found to be worthwhile (i.e., that worked, lol):
- Focus Pocus
- Rocks & Minerals -- this is 1 of the 2 BEST, if you can also get the supply kit
- Analysis -- this is 1 of the 2 BEST, if you can also get the supply kit
- Solutions
- Heat
- Oxidation
- Cohesion & Adhesion
[I have good things about the Electricity unit; that was not one we happened to try]

re: Kingfisher
2-page spreads, not a lot of depth, and a bit dry in the writing. I suppose you could use it as a spine/initial exposure to topics, and then dig in with books and resources of more depth and interest... We only ended up using this as a quick/general reference over the years, and sometimes would read the 2-page spread on a topic as one of many resources on that science topic.

re: Tiner
Very Christian-based. We really enjoyed his series, but I wouldn't use these as the spine for major deep info on a subject area. Each book is an interesting series of short articles on a scientist who makes a key discovery that advanced the science field. But not tons of info on the science itself -- more biography-based, and info on the specific discovery. These worked for us very enjoyable supplement/extras. Some of the Tiner books work better for young middle school, others for late middle school...

Exploring Planet Earth -- gr. 4-6
History of Medicine -- gr. 5-8
The World of Biology -- gr. 6/7-9
The World of Chemistry  -- gr. 6/7-9
The World of Physics  -- gr. 7-9
The World of Mathematics -- gr. 7-9

I believe you are overseas and need downloadable options? If so, perhaps check out:
- Ellen McHenry units (gr. 5-8) -- The Elements, Carbon Chemistry, Cells, The Brain, Botany in 8 Lessons, Protozoa, Rocks & Dirt
- Guest Hollow: Botany (middle/high school); Jr. Anatomy (gr. 3-8)

And some past threads with possible ideas:
- "What is your middle school child doing for science?"
- "Middle school science - what are my choices?"
- "A monumental middle school science thread"
- "Science for middle school: Elemental, RSO, other?"
- "Science for 7th and 8th - options?"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I can't remember what age/grade of student you have? But grades 5-7 for SURE are a SUPER time to explore "units" of DIY science that are of high interest to the student.

@SilverMoon has put together some cool Astronomy and Zoology years for those ages/grades, after asking in threads for resource ideas, so you might search for those, OR, ask for some help in putting something together, if that sounds of interest to you and to DS. 😄 

• Like 1

Thanks. I do like having downloadable options as we are overseas. So I will look at those. 

I haven't seen the Tiner books in person. But from what you said they probably won't fit our needs then. I was hoping they offered more scientific info on the topic not just biography. 

4 minutes ago, lulalu said:

...I haven't seen the Tiner books in person. But from what you said they probably won't fit our needs then. I was hoping they offered more scientific info on the topic not just biography. 

Have you checked out the sample pages at Christianbook.com, or Amazon's "look inside" option? They usually give you the full table of contents + a number of pages to see.

I just now went and looked myself -- here's the World of BiologyWorld of Chemistry, and World of Physics -- they are both more informational than I remembered. 😬

• Like 1

I think this plan would work very well. The Kingfisher science encyclopedia is great as a spine. It even has a few activities on some of the pages, not many, but a few. It's good for reading, outlining, and as a jumping off point. The Tiner books are great as read alouds and as the history aspect to the science. They generally give a narrative to the scientists or the branches of science and the discoveries. We always used them as read alouds with whatever sciences we were doing in middle school years. We particularly enjoyed the Medicine one. And then your other units would give you the hands on, I am assuming. I've never used them. I always wanted to do our science like this using my Usborne. It just made sense to me. But alas, our co-op was always doing Apologia, and my kids liked doing class and experiments in the group. But with my last kiddo, this is exactly how I'm planning upper elem-middle school. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Have you checked out the sample pages at Christianbook.com, or Amazon's "look inside" option? They usually give you the full table of contents + a number of pages to see.

I just now went and looked myself -- here's the World of BiologyWorld of Chemistry, and World of Physics -- they are both more informational than I remembered. 😬

I did look at the samples before asking here. But you just never get a good feel for it from just samples. And we spend a lot in shipping so I just like to be sure. I am glad they are more informational than you remember. I think I will get them just to have as the history and biography aspect since we don't have a library. 

Is the science Kingfisher like the history one? I like the amount of information the history one has. 

Any other spine you would suggest? We are fine with Christian or secular (we do plan to teach evolution during middle school and again in high school). 

8 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I think this plan would work very well. The Kingfisher science encyclopedia is great as a spine. It even has a few activities on some of the pages, not many, but a few. It's good for reading, outlining, and as a jumping off point. The Tiner books are great as read alouds and as the history aspect to the science. They generally give a narrative to the scientists or the branches of science and the discoveries. We always used them as read alouds with whatever sciences we were doing in middle school years. We particularly enjoyed the Medicine one. And then your other units would give you the hands on, I am assuming. I've never used them. I always wanted to do our science like this using my Usborne. It just made sense to me. But alas, our co-op was always doing Apologia, and my kids liked doing class and experiments in the group. But with my last kiddo, this is exactly how I'm planning upper elem-middle school. 

Do you think the Kingfisher has enough alone to be the spine or would I need to supplement with the topic encyclopedias from Usborne too? I feel like the Kingfisher would give us a good overview.

Or maybe adding in documentaries would make it enough? 

• Like 1

I agree, I'd use documentaries and specific books on particular subjects rather than more encyclopedias for at least some of the topics. You don't have to go deep on every spread. You can probably Google for websites for children on many of the subjects too. The Usborne has links too to explore more. I do think it's enough for a spine. 

• Like 2

I just realized that this is all about the Kingfisher encyclopedia, and I have the Usborne which is what I've been referencing.  I'm sure the Kingfisher is similar. I have the Kingfisher history encyclopedia and love it. I have the Usborne Science and love it. Sorry I confused them in my mind. Just wanted to let you know! 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I just realized that this is all about the Kingfisher encyclopedia, and I have the Usborne which is what I've been referencing.  I'm sure the Kingfisher is similar. I have the Kingfisher history encyclopedia and love it. I have the Usborne Science and love it. Sorry I confused them in my mind. Just wanted to let you know! 

It does get confusing! 😁