Menu

Teaching writing in general, and skipping WWS 2?

Slache

My kid is in 5th. We have laid foundations with RLTL, vintage materials and IEW. For the logic and rhetoric stages I would like to stagger IEW, WWS and Clearwater Press. I feel like I can "cover all the bases" with this approach while having fun. Clearwater Press seems fun and IEW materials leave a lot of free time for things like NaNoWriMo, or spend less time on writing if that's your preference. My questions are thus:

1. Am I missing anything huge with this plan?
  2. Can I skip Writing With Skill 2?

Here is what we've done and what I plan, for the record:

K: Reading Lessons through Literature, Dictation Day by Day (as copywork)
1: Reading Lessons through Literature, Dictation Day by Day (as copywork)
2: Reading Lessons through Literature, Dictation Day by Day
3: IEW SSS 1A, Fix It 1
4: IEW SSS 2A, Fix It 2
5: IEW SSS 2B, Fix It 3
(the rest is theoretical)
6: Cover Story (CWP)
7: WWS 1, Fix It 4
8: IEW SSS 2C, Fix It 5
9: Byline (CWP)
10: WWS 3, Fix It 6
11: IEW Rhetoric, Grammar of Poetry
12: One Year Adventure Novel (CWP)

I also have optional fun writing planned, but this is my theoretical skeleton. If WWS 2 is absolutely necessary to do level 3 I have to choose between skipping level 3 or making them choose between Byline and OYAN. 

I haven't used most of what you are asking about, but can you skip WWS2? Yes.  Mine did WWS1 in early high school, like maybe over 8-9th grades, maybe 9-10 for one of them, and that was it for one of mine.  She just did writing in her content classes.  The other, stronger writer did the Oxford Writing Guide and writing across the curriculum ala WTM history and lit studies and other classes and then did one semester of concurrent enrollment her senior year for an Eng. 1 writing class.  Both used Rod and Staff english including the composition exercises through 8th grade, though one never made it to the 8th grade text.  So they had some writing instruction there in middle school beyond my WTM style assignments before WWS 1. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I haven't used most of what you are asking about, but can you skip WWS2? Yes.  Mine did WWS1 in early high school, like maybe over 8-9th grades, maybe 9-10 for one of them, and that was it for one of mine.  She just did writing in her content classes.  The other, stronger writer did the Oxford Writing Guide and writing across the curriculum ala WTM history and lit studies and other classes and then did one semester of concurrent enrollment her senior year for an Eng. 1 writing class.  Both used Rod and Staff english including the composition exercises through 8th grade, though one never made it to the 8th grade text.  So they had some writing instruction there in middle school beyond my WTM style assignments before WWS 1. 

Could I ask - How did you use the Oxford Writing Guide?