Menu

Artistic pursuit

lulalu

Has anyone used the newer edition of Artistic Pursuit for grades 4&5? It looks like it comes with a DVD for the lesson. The sample looks dry and boring and seems as if it wasn't explained well. Is that what it is like? https://artisticpursuits.com/beginner-level-4th-grade-adult 

Any reviews of this? 

DS hasn't had much instruction in art. We haven't gotten around to doing it formally. He went through two of the artpacs, but he really doesn't like them. 

Recently he discovered Art Hub on YouTube. He has done almost all of what they have. But that is limited, there isn't enough there. He really clicks with seeing art being done and then copying. Which is why I am looking at Artistic Pursuits. 

Any other great art with video instructions? 

55 minutes ago, Mirror said:

We have the newer versions of K-3. I haven't been impressed with the DVDs (especially when I had to buy a DVD player!) so we just use the books. 

Are they boring? The sample I saw looked like it could be very boring. 

We also tried the newer K-3 versions and my 5-year-old found them quite boring.  The instructions are sufficient in terms of the techniques, but are dry and not engaging.  Of all the subjects we cover, art became the one where we struggled.  We actually stopped art altogether for awhile and are just now starting Home Art Studio today.  I've previewed a few of the lessons on the DVD and am hopeful that this will go better.  

• Like 1

We've used the K-3 2018 series, the one that's chronologically sequenced, books 2 and 3.  I've been really pleased with them.  I'm not artistically inclined and I appreciate that the videos give simple tips for using the different media well.  No bells and whistles, but a simple explanation of how to make the project work, and there are only videos for the handful of lessons that need them to supplement the models and illustrated step by step instructions in the book.  There's plenty of scope for the kids to make a genuine art project - it's not "here's the Mona Lisa, now you copy it" but more like "here's the Mona Lisa and two questions to help you look at it; now make a portrait".  Then there'd be a few steps suggesting what kinds of lines to start with or what details to notice about the subject you're drawing.  I've used the K-3 books with pre-K to 5th graders and they've worked well for us.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lulalu said:

Are they boring? The sample I saw looked like it could be very boring. 

Yes very dry. We have enjoyed the books (although I feel we got just as much out of the Evan Moor Art book) but if the reason for buying them is the DVDs I would suggest finding another program. 

• Like 1