Menu

Greek for Children or Elementary Greek

lulalu

We learned the Greek Alphabet this year using Memoria Press' book. DS has enjoyed it, and we plan to continue in Greek. My goal for the future is to to use Athenaze. 

So now I am looking for next year (5th grade) choosing between Greek for Children A or Elementary Greek. 

I like the looks of Greek for Children, and that it has a DVD with lessons. But being there is only one level I don't know if it is worth it. That would put us moving to Athenaze in 6th. Would that be too early for Athenaze? We would take it slowly as needed. 

Or doing Elementary Greek 1-3. Then moving to Athenaze in 8th. EG looks good too, but reading reviews says the vocabulary is limited. And it doesn't come with a DVD, which isn't a deal breaker. 

We have really enjoyed GSWL and KGWL for learning Latin, as it is very straightforward and logical. I know he is working on an ancient Greek one, but he hasn't said when it will be finished. So I am looking for something in Greek that is straightforward and logical as well. Something that builds a little then has you practice that one thing learned. 

The author of GSWL is working on a Greek book (fangirl squealing). I'll see if I can find a timeline on that.

Greek For Children is way too much way too fast. It's awful in my opinion, and I was told that B and C would be out 5 years ago. Hmmmm?

Elementary Greek is dry. It is very well done though.

Look at Dobson's Greek, Black's Greek (there are videos for that by a college professor I can probably find if it's really important), and Greek 101 by The Great Courses. That last one is ancient, the rest is koine. Galore Park is ancient me thinks.

We are doing Hey Andrew on grade level. I looked at GFC and did one year of EM. My goal is Athenaze. I saw your Latin thread. Why do you plan on Athenaze, but not Oxford or Cambridge?

Imma go see what I can find on GSWG. BRB.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Slache said:

Greek For Children is way too much way too fast. It's awful in my opinion, and I was told that B and C would be out 5 years ago. Hmmmm?

Elementary Greek is dry. It is very well done though.

GfC only having one level really is making me not want to use it. And if it moves too fast we would have a problem with that. DS gets grammar and language easily, but he is a perfectionist so if he can't keep up he shuts down. 

I figured EG would be dry. ( We use Rod and Staff English and spelling which are dry so maybe DS wouldn't be bothered) But it also looks limited. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

Look at Dobson's Greek, Black's Greek (there are videos for that by a college professor I can probably find if it's really important), and Greek 101 by The Great Courses. That last one is ancient, the rest is koine. Galore Park is ancient me thinks.

We are doing Hey Andrew on grade level. I looked at GFC and did one year of EM. My goal is Athenaze. I saw your Latin thread. Why do you plan on Athenaze, but not Oxford or Cambridge?

Thanks I will look at those. 

That is a good question. I haven't looked much at Oxford or Cambridge. We have a living language that we have learned by immersion (and a tutor), so I was looking more towards the grammar translation path, and when I was researching Henle looks like what people say is more that route. But I am still open to other ones. We have Minimus as a fun supplement right now, but it doesn't seem to give enough methodical development of vocabulary. But I also am probably overthinking it all. There are just too many options for Latin (and not enough for ancient Greek)! 

26 minutes ago, lulalu said:

Thanks I will look at those. 

That is a good question. I haven't looked much at Oxford or Cambridge. We have a living language that we have learned by immersion (and a tutor), so I was looking more towards the grammar translation path, and when I was researching Henle looks like what people say is more that route. But I am still open to other ones. We have Minimus as a fun supplement right now, but it doesn't seem to give enough methodical development of vocabulary. But I also am probably overthinking it all. There are just too many options for Latin (and not enough for ancient Greek)! 

I would imagine any complaints you have about Minimus would translate to Cambridge because they made it, but I honestly don't know. The only person I've met that speaks and loves Latin says to use Oxford. I'm also considering Lukeion, which begins with Wheelock's but I don't care because I won't be teaching it. Lukeion also uses Athenaze. 

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

We used Elementary Greek and switched to Athenaze after book 2. Elementary Greek is a great intro and the amount of work assigned each day is perfect. DD wound up retaining a lot. Athenaze is a whole different animal, but she was definitely well prepared after EG 1-2. I think she didn’t hit new material in Athenaze until chapter 5 or so.  I plan to follow this same path with DS10, he is a different learner than DD and needs a bit of a slower pace with Greek. 

If you’re teaching Athenaze you may want another book on your shelf for reference and to help you explain certain things another way. I have Mastronarde’s text Introduction to Attic Greek which is great for this. It also has extra exercises and some online resources in case your student needs more practice (hello, participles).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

My kid is in 5th using Hey Andrew and GSWL. I have no idea what I'm doing. I've just looked at A LOT, so I'm commenting.

Do any of us know what we are doing? 

We all have to try it out. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to purchase stuff without knowing it will work. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lulalu said:

We all have to try it out. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to purchase stuff without knowing it will work. 

I have ruled out a lot after borrowing it from Interlibrary loan. You don't get enough time to use it, but enough to make some decisions that would have otherwise been expensive.

6 hours ago, lulalu said:

Wow-that is reassuring to read from you both! We're doing some GSWL this year (we needed a change from Latin's Not that Tough), so I'm excited to see there's a gswg coming. We also use Hey Andrew and I think it's a good start. I'm kind of trying to think of my end goal here with Greek, which is to be able to understand it well enough to use it for personal Bible study or be able to go on in college. I think Hey Andrew (plus teaching them how to use a lexicon) will definitely get us there.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Zenen said:

Encourages me to read interest in Greek here. 

I an my little family live in the Middle East, so Latin is not as advantageous here. My son turns 7yrs old this October, and I am thinking to begin Greek with him. We enjoy WTM English Arts, SOTW and Kate Small’s Math. But, I come from a Classical Academic Press (CAP) background.

Has anyone used CAP’s ‘Song School Greek’ with their K-3gradder? Or maybe CAP’s Song School Latin (I think the formation is the same for each). I am hoping for some reviews. Advice is also very welcome : ) Very thankful for this forum. 

- Zenen

Zenen Kristensen

This thread is about Ancient Greek, so probably not relevant to any location. CAP's Latin is popular here, but their Greek program isn't finished. My children have been using Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek since 1st grade.

1 hour ago, Zenen said:

Greetings. Thank you for you post. Re: Ancient Greek: sorry about that! Is there a koine thread? Re: Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek: I will seriously consider that. Codex Sinaticus is important for my region (though I treasure Plato and Aristotle). Thank you !

You should start your own thread so you can ask specific questions relevant to you. This post would be appropriate for the K-8 board.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:12 AM, Zenen said:

Encourages me to read interest in Greek here. 

I an my little family live in the Middle East, so Latin is not as advantageous here. 

We live in the Middle East as well. We have enjoyed learning Latin as an academic subject. It has helped with grammar and talking through languages. That way our living language can be just that and doesn't need to be analyzed. 

We started Greek Alphabet this year and have found it to be a fun addition. But my son loves languages.