Menu

IEW ancients writing with modern history?

Janeway

I am worried that I have messed this up. I signed my rising 5th and 7th graders up for an outsourced IEW writing class. After this, I found out they are using the Ancients book. I do not know a ton about IEW, but I know I am completely over with studying the ancients. Background...we have way overdone the ancients. Older of these kids started with SOTW 1 when he started to home school and we completely got in to it. Second year, we barely started SOTW 2 when daughter started to home school. We have spent the time since she has been home (just over two years) doing SOTW 1 and 2. I am SOOOO ready to move in to  recent centuries for history and had decided that regardless, we would be doing SOTW 3 now and move on to 4 after that. I know my now 1st grader isn't getting much out of it, but I figure with the timing, he will be in 3rd grade or so when we circle back to the ancients so it will be fine. 

Now for fall, the kids are in an IEW ancients class. NO WAY do I want to study ancients again. Seriously, no way. My question is, will it be odd or off for them to do the ancients class with IEW writing and then do modern history at home? I do not think I can get a refund on the deposit I made for those classes but I can pull them if I need. Maybe they will credit me toward the tuition in the other classes.

It won't be weird at all.

The way IEW is set up, the kids aren't expected to be studying the same history at the same time.  It'll be short little pieces on the wonders of the world, myths, legends, things like that, at first.

DS did IEW ancients for part of last year.  He liked it enough that we moved on to the Middle Ages book this year, but the MA book ends its timeline way before ds finishes studying history (up through 1605) for the year.  His writing never matched what he was studying unless I forced it to.

It'll be fine. The theme books don't go into much depth historically. There are just short passages related to the topic. You definitely don't have to do the same time period in your history studies. I'm teaching the Modern History theme book at our co-op next year and I certainly don't expect my students to be studying the same time period. I will likely provide some brief historical context in my class but it sounds like your kids will already have a good understanding of the ancients time period. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

I certainly don't expect my students to be studying the same time period. I will likely provide some brief historical context in my class but it sounds like your kids will already have a good understanding of the ancients time period. 

Agreed. I would say it’s far better to do the time period for IEW after having learned about that time in history than before, but they needn’t be concurrent.