Menu

Abeka or BJU box curriculum math pre-algebra?

Ting Tang

I’ve used Abeka for k-3rd and have found it rigorous. My daughter was introduced to multiplication by the end of the 1st grade level. Looking at both for middle grade math, do you think either have strong programs leading into algebra? Basically, I like the teacher manuals for myself but do not want my son using a program with a not-so-great reputation in terms of prep for algebra. Looking at grades 6 , 7, and pre-algebra. BJU just revised 6-7th grade math, so that’s appealing. 

BJU is far better than Abeka. Also, Abeka loves to rush the students in the early years and then lays flat, doing very little and not moving forward by late elementary and tends to be behind most other programs by high school. BJU has one of the most excellent math programs out there. I would find it comparable to the high quality secular choices that many on this board have. 

Edited by Janeway

24 minutes ago, Janeway said:

BJU is far better than Abeka. Also, Abeka loves to rush the students in the early years and then lays flat, doing very little and not moving forward by late elementary and tends to be behind most other programs by high school. BJU has one of the most excellent math programs out there. I would find it comparable to the high quality secular choices that many on this board have. 

Thank you! This is super helpful. Maybe BJU is a good option then! 

BJU math is more rigorous than Abeka.  Abeka does arithmetic okay, but by the time you get to mathematics BJU is much, much stronger. 

In elementary, Abeka is spiral (lots of mixed review in each lesson), but BJU is more topical (chapter on fractions, with review at the end of the chapter).  Which is fine-- not all students need all that review built in.  (But some do...) 😉

BJU uses more mathematical "language" in its teaching (proofs, properties, postulates, set terminology, etc.), even in elementary. 

I really like their Pre Algebra text; I've used it with a quick-to-get-concepts kid who thrived with it. I've also used it at a slower pace with a struggling in Algebra 1 student.   I also like their high school geometry text. 

FWIW, BJU would not be my first choice for a student that struggles with upper level math.  A good teacher would probably know how to adapt the text, but I was not that good teacher for my struggling student. 🙂  

9 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

BJU math is more rigorous than Abeka.  Abeka does arithmetic okay, but by the time you get to mathematics BJU is much, much stronger. 

In elementary, Abeka is spiral (lots of mixed review in each lesson), but BJU is more topical (chapter on fractions, with review at the end of the chapter).  Which is fine-- not all students need all that review built in.  (But some do...) 😉

BJU uses more mathematical "language" in its teaching (proofs, properties, postulates, set terminology, etc.), even in elementary. 

I really like their Pre Algebra text; I've used it with a quick-to-get-concepts kid who thrived with it. I've also used it at a slower pace with a struggling in Algebra 1 student.   I also like their high school geometry text. 

FWIW, BJU would not be my first choice for a student that struggles with upper level math.  A good teacher would probably know how to adapt the text, but I was not that good teacher for my struggling student. 🙂  

Thank you so much! I think for my oldest, your description of BJU would be good! My next in line son struggles a bit more, but I think a big issue is the Master Books we tried this year has very little teacher direction, which makes it hard for me to explain concepts. . Abeka at least had that, but as we enter the middle grades, I want to make sure we are using good math curriculums. 

4 minutes ago, JazzyMom said:

My kids have all used A Beka through grade 5.  I love it for elementary, but I’m not a fan of their pre-algebra.

May I ask what you use next? We switched him from Abeka to Master Books after 3rd. He’s in level 6. Big mistake 😔 I didn’t want to use older versions after using revised, but MB just does not do it for me. 

Edited by Ting Tang

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

May I ask what you use next? We switched him from Abeka to Master Books after 3rd. He’s in level 6. Big mistake 😔 I didn’t want to use older versions after using revised, but MB just does not do it for me. 

2 of my older kids used Saxon 1/2 and 1 of them used Derek Owens.  I did not like Saxon at all.  I really haven’t found anything I love yet, but I think Lial’s looks good.

I really like Foerster’s for algebra I & algebra II and Jacob’s for geometry.

4 minutes ago, JazzyMom said:

2 of my older kids used Saxon 1/2 and 1 of them used Derek Owens.  I did not like Saxon at all.  I really haven’t found anything I love yet, but I think Lial’s looks good.

I really like Foerster’s for algebra I & algebra II and Jacob’s for geometry.

Thank you so much for sharing! I was just looking at CLE, and that looks advanced… such differences between curriculums and levels 

• Like 1

BJU hands down. If you feel you need it later, the dlo is there for you. I feel like the concepts are more clearly laid out than ABeka. We tried Saxon Alg 1/2 at the beginning of the year-- not a fan of the spiral. My son was so confused after a while that he started over with BJU. Now he says math is making sense. We are using the text and TM only.

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

BJU hands down. If you feel you need it later, the dlo is there for you. I feel like the concepts are more clearly laid out than ABeka. We tried Saxon Alg 1/2 at the beginning of the year-- not a fan of the spiral. My son was so confused after a while that he started over with BJU. Now he says math is making sense. We are using the text and TM only.

Thank you very much! Do you know who created the math curriculum—math experts? I think I’m narrowing down my list of options. I like math mammoth, too.