Menu

WWE 3

desertflower

First, I’d probably double-check that my expectations are still in line with the curriculum’s benchmarks. (I tend toward high expectations & occasionally get carried away.) 

Then I’d probably just split narration off from the other skills in WWE & work on it exclusively for a while before moving on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

First, I’d probably double-check that my expectations are still in line with the curriculum’s benchmarks. (I tend toward high expectations & occasionally get carried away.) 

Then I’d probably just split narration off from the other skills in WWE & work on it exclusively for a while before moving on.

How would you work on the narration? I need a book.  can you suggest one?  I'm not very good at narrating myself.  haha  This is why I am thinking of redoing the same level before moving on. 

54 minutes ago, desertflower said:

How would you work on the narration? I need a book.  can you suggest one?  I'm not very good at narrating myself.  haha  This is why I am thinking of redoing the same level before moving on. 

Any collection of fairy tales, tall tales, or myths would work well. Read the story (preferably one they haven’t heard before) & have them narrate a summary. If they struggle, ask prompting questions: “Why did Character A say / do that?”, “What happened next?”, “Did their plan work?”

Once they’ve got that down & are doing well with it, add in the next step (like in Lesson 32) of  trying to remember their narration & work on holding it in their memory long enough to write it down. Start with one sentence at a time, working your way up to the whole narration. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I moved on.  I don't think narration in the pinnacle of early writing skills.  I think it's lovely if it happens, but some kids don't have the working memory to master the long phrases that are given.  If the basics of starting sentences with capital letters, using correct end punctuation, and using quotation marks correctly is in place, call it good and move on.  I think WWE is lovely at exposing kids to rich and beautiful words, but it shouldn't be a halting point.  Use it as a springboard for teaching skills....but keep the focus on the skills.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Honestly, I moved on.  I don't think narration in the pinnacle of early writing skills.  I think it's lovely if it happens, but some kids don't have the working memory to master the long phrases that are given.  If the basics of starting sentences with capital letters, using correct end punctuation, and using quotation marks correctly is in place, call it good and move on.  I think WWE is lovely at exposing kids to rich and beautiful words, but it shouldn't be a halting point.  Use it as a springboard for teaching skills....but keep the focus on the skills.

Ok. That's good to know.  Thanks!