Menu

Chalkdust PreAlgebra vs WHA vs MPOA classes

I am thinking about signing up my daughter for Pre Algebra and beyond Math classes. I would like to ask the parents whose children have gone through Wilson Hill Academy , Memoria Press Academy and Chalkdust Video course. Which Math teacher is strongly recommended? She is not a strong Math Student but a struggling student and keep forgetting the concepts and steps. She has some learning gaps to fill too. Are WHA and MPOA Math live classes tests and quizzes self graded? Are there office hours available for struggling learners? How many hours of homework are assigned per week? For the homework or assignment part do parent has to check the homework answers and then scan and submit them to the teacher? Do the classes cover all the problems of the homework and tests?

I would love some feedback on all these options for the upcoming year.

• 2 weeks later...

I can chime in with our experience in the MPOA -- 
It uses College of the Redwoods prealgebra text, which is viewable online. 

Class meets twice weekly, 90 min each session. There are no office hours per se, but the classes are recorded, so you could go back and watch the recordings again. If a student has a question, they can post in the ask a teacher forum for the class, or email privately.  Our instructor also sent out the slides to the classes weekly. The assignment plans for the week are very detailed, and I feel like she sent out notes to be downloaded for class as well. Our instructor assigned a good deal of homework -- my daughter is not a strong math student, so she probably spent 2-3 hours outside of class time per week. 

The homework, tests and quizzes are NOT self graded. In prealgebra, there were weekly speed drills that were auto graded, but the rest were scanned in and handgraded by the teacher, with annotations. If you understood the homework, and did the chapter reviews, you would be adequately prepared for the test. 

Some things I would recommend --- 
You may need more time firming up concepts. Is she OK with operations? (+, -, X, /) My daughter struggled with (and probably still does) with fractions/decimals/conversions. 

I wouldn't consider MPOA totally hands off at first. She may need help with navigating the dashboard, uploading assignments, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would not recommend WHA for a struggling math student! Seriously, find a program better suited to your learner. Make sure her arithmetic, especially fractions, decimals, and percents are solid before PreA.

Try Mr. D or myhomeschoolmathclass.com. Lighter, easier. Others here can help you find a fit.

Details about WHA math:

WHA uses the Dolciani text for all algebra courses. (now OOP). Classes are live 90 minutes 2x/wk. My Dd has taken PreA, Alg I, Alg II, and PreCal there. Excellent instruction, fast pace. We have never had any problems with WHA, but they are pricey! Eric Reini is a fabulous teacher if you can get him. 

HW is checked and corrected at home. Avg submitted before each test. If the work is all corrected, it’s a 100. 

Tests taken at home, proctored by a parent, submitted online, graded by the teacher. Quizzes are in class, no parent involvement. HW time varies by assignment, course, and student. My student has processing speed issues so I cannot project what is typical. PreA was fast, Alg I longer, Alg II quicker, PreCal longer. Anywhere from 3-10 hrs a week over the years.

Not office hrs, but generally quick answers to emailed questions. Discussion boards occasionally helpful. Experienced teachers know where the hard parts are and post supplemental videos with extra instruction. They do not go over all hw or test problems in class - not enough time.

Edited by ScoutTN

I wouldn't recommend a group class for a struggling student unless you have no other option. One-on-one tutoring would be much better so that those gaps can be identified and filled in before moving on. I would also consider a self-paced class so that the student isn't left behind when other students need to move on. 

In my own classes, I had a couple of struggling students sign up. I ended up moving them to private situations, and it was much more effective.  

• Like 1