Menu

New to homeschooling, looking for biology

teb700

I've been reading the book and really like the 4 year history plan. I like History Odyssey that Pandia Press has. I want to follow the plan for science too. I have 3 kids we're thinking of pulling out of school after they finish year. They will be in 3rd, 6th, and 7th grade. I guess I'll just start in the ancients and move on through. I'd like to start with biology. Can anyone recommend a curriculum or book serious that I can do with all 3 kids at the same time. I'm not science phobic and the kids really enjoy learning things. They're all very good student and the boys are in the gifted program. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tammy

Christian Kids Explore Biology by Bright Ideas Press. My kids have enjoyed it this year, only exception being there are not a ton of experiments (my ds9 wants experiments every day!). The lessons are short, interesting and would fit with your age group. Another good one is God's Design for Life series (Human Body, Plant, Animals). If you want secular and you can afford it, K12 Science is very good as well. You could combine all your ages into say the level 4 or 5 w/out problems. Another option is this: Combine your 6th and 7th graders and do Apologia General Science (perfect for that age) and either have the 3rd grader tag along and help w/ experiments OR just do the WTM way of doing science and pick some topics of interest and some good library books. Janice VanCleave has a series of books out w/ neat experiments for all science topics (ex/ Human Body, Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry, etc.). We are doing Apologia General w/ my dd11 (7th grade) next year. Hope I didn't overwhelm you w/ choices...my brain just sort of overflows sometimes!

I'm with Sue G--I'd combine the two older ones in Apologia or Christian Kids. Glencoe is good too, for a secular view, but the General Science would probably be a fit. (If Christian is ok) You can probably do biology at a slower pace in 8th (7th), or go ahead and do physical science.

I second the Van Cleave books--so interesting!