Menu

Math— BJU 7 or switch before DO?

mmasc

Hello! You’d think I’d have this down by the third dc, yet I still have questions 😊

history: My ds is in “5th” grade and has successfully been doing BJU math since K. He currently is doing the Math 6 book. I plan to have him take Derek Owens Pre-algebra in 7th grade. What to do for 6th grade??

BJU has worked well, but I’m concerned about the Fundamentals book. It looks like a huge step up from what he currently does (textbook, length of lessons, overall appearance). But I’m just not sure what else I’d use for this one year before changing providers?? I have Math U See Pre-algebra sitting on the shelf but have never used it. Would that fill the gap?

This dc is good at math and it comes pretty easily for him, but I do think a good year of reviewing everything in elementary math and getting it all down pat is smart before moving on to pre-algebra. I don’t think he’s ready for DO pre-algebra in 6th—that just seems young to me. 🤔

Any thoughts on what a good math would be to fill this 6th grade year??

Did you see the BJU school site? Book 7 has been given a total overhaul. Apparently, the new set is available 1 March. I'm excited to see the changes.

https://www.bjupress.com/category/grade-7-fundamentals-of-math-curriculum

I have used the current Bk 7 with my oldest kids. It is a step up, but a very good prep for their higher level books as all are set up the same way.

I would not switch to a totally different provider and way of teaching this far into the game. If BJU has been a winner this long, you might see it through to the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1