Menu

Math similar to Math With Confidence

AngelaR

I’m looking for a math curriculum similar to Kate Snow’s Math with Confidence. I do MWC with my 1st grade boy and WE are really loving it.  I did Singapore Dimensions last year with my 2nd grade daughter (so 1st grade for her).  It was hard for both of us.  We switched to Math Mammoth the beginning of the year and she did well and didn’t mind the endless problems.  I liked the clear explanations and the fact that she could *often* do it independently.  However, the more I use MWC with my son, the more I want a more “fun” curriculum for my daughter also.  And of course, she’s one year ahead of Kate Snow’s curriculum releases.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I was doing the 3rd grade pilot and wasn’t super impressed.  We switched back to math mammoth and I plan to just add in some games.  Maybe math facts that stick.  The library has math books, we got “The Times Machine” book and I plan to try others.  My third grader does a couple pages of math mammoth, flash cards, and reads this book at the moment.  I wouldn’t switch, just add in what you want!

Did you do MWC for k-2nd before the pilot? Curious what made you feel not impressed? We are doing MWC K right now and I'm debating on MM for 1st or sticking with MWC

Depending how firm your "no" is on Singapore, you might try the Primary Mathematics US edition?  I have Kate Snow's Math Facts That Stick and feel like her approach and explanations are similar to Singapore, though she has described her books as "easier" than Singapore.  There are also Home Instructor Guides for the US edition which hold the parent's hand, giving lightly scripted explanations of concepts and pairing them with simple games (often card/dice games) or hands on activities for reinforcement and extension.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Depending how firm your "no" is on Singapore, you might try the Primary Mathematics US edition?

I used Dimensions before and switched to Earlybird which is the Kindergarten level of Primary Mathethmatics. Primary Mathematics is much easier to use than Dimensions. Dimensions was more classroom oriented, so it was a lot of prep heavy activities for the units so you can set up learning stations and group activities for your class (which is overkill for homeschool). 

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

I used Dimensions before and switched to Earlybird which is the Kindergarten level of Primary Mathethmatics. Primary Mathematics is much easier to use than Dimensions. Dimensions was more classroom oriented, so it was a lot of prep heavy activities for the units so you can set up learning stations and group activities for your class (which is overkill for homeschool). 

Interesting!  Yeah, I skipped a lot of the classroom activities…but I also found it really hard to teach “their” way—I guess, for lack of a better term, the common core way or mental math.  I was only taught procedural math, and had pretty bad number sense when I was in school.  It makes a lot more sense now, but when I first started teaching my girl about breaking up numbers to make 10, to make it easier to add in your head, I got SO lost and it was WAY frustrating for her, poor thing!  Since I have never done mental math/common core, would Primary Math be just as hard?  That’s what I’m afraid of.  Kate Snow, however, does a great job of teaching the “why” of what we’re doing. Which I love!

1 hour ago, AngelaR said:

Since I have never done mental math/common core, would Primary Math be just as hard?  That’s what I’m afraid of.  Kate Snow, however, does a great job of teaching the “why” of what we’re doing. Which I love!

I'm not a "math person" (and see my current thread asking for help on a year six question for confirmation!) but I've found the home instructor guide does a great job of helping me understand the "Singapore way".  I've had plenty of lightbulb moments as I now understand *why* you borrow and carry and add zeroes to multiply large numbers and all that kind of thing, and my son's foundation is now stronger and faster than my own was.  I can't guarantee that it will click for you, but my own experience is it's very homeschool friendly and not dissimilar to Kate Snow's approach.  You would want a workbook, Home Instructor Guide and possibly the textbook for each level.  We never actually use the textbooks but I like having them "just in case".

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I just realized your daughter is in 2nd.  So you are thinking of switching now or 3rd?  Ideally you want to stay with one curriculum by 2nd through 5th at least.  

If I could find what I’m looking for, now.  Otherwise we’ll change next fall. Why should one not switch math curriculums between gr 2-5?  I’m not sure we’re going to homeschool her after 4th grade, so this is concerning.  

Edited by AngelaR
Clarification