Menu

Physics Tutor ?

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I think John Kernion does private tutoring as well as his PAH and PhysicsPrep classes.

Hmm, although I like the idea of tutoring by someone who knows exactly what they are doing in class (and has access to the unpublished rules and guidelines that ds has run in to more than once), it seems like it might be a bit of a conflict of interest for him to simultaneously tutor a student. Bu-ut, I see no conflict with professors having office hours for this type of activity, so I think I am being inconsistent on this point. If he did have office hours ds would be there every time, but as far as either of us are aware there is only an hour of lecture every other week. He is very responsive to email, but this feels beyond a one-off email. I don't see a comment about tutoring, do you think I would email him?

This is one of the problematic parts of outsourcing to an expert in the field, if there is a problem it is tricky to jump in and assist.

20 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Hmm, although I like the idea of tutoring by someone who knows exactly what they are doing in class (and has access to the unpublished rules and guidelines that ds has run in to more than once), it seems like it might be a bit of a conflict of interest for him to simultaneously tutor a student. Bu-ut, I see no conflict with professors having office hours for this type of activity, so I think I am being inconsistent on this point. If he did have office hours ds would be there every time, but as far as either of us are aware there is only an hour of lecture every other week. He is very responsive to email, but this feels beyond a one-off email. I don't see a comment about tutoring, do you think I would email him?

I don’t see a conflict of interest when I am paying the instructor for a course and then asking how much extra hours of tutoring would cost. I would see a conflict of interest if this was public school or college. 
I think the issue is more of does your child need more tutoring by the same instructor or he needs someone who can explain in a different way/style. My teens when taking physics C were the kind that just need to argue it out with each other or with me. So for them, having more hours with the same instructor won’t be effective. 

• Like 1