Menu

After reading the AG Thread--Timing for Care & Keeping ?

I had planned to use The Care and Keeping of You with my dd and do the lapbook over at homeschoolshare (yes they have one). But when? What age would you recommend doing this for? I have a third grader who is fairly immature and we got the "talk" at our well-check on how she was pre-adolescent but that could change in 1 to 5 years.

Thanks.

:bigear:

For us the magic number was when they were 9 - but it was sparked by asking a lot of questions. The book is solely about girls and their bodies, not about boys at all. Yes, the tampon thing is in there, but we just talked about it. The thing I wish had been left out is the part on eating disorders - my personal kids had never heard of anyone caring about that stuff, but I can see why it's in there for the more media-saturated culture. But I think around 9ish is probably a good time.

My older two are now 10 1/2 and the book has been read, and reread, and reread. In spite of this, their younger sister, who's turning 8 next week and shares a bedroom with them, has shown exactly zero interest in the book. It has been lying right there in front of her, she's seen her sisters reading it umpteen times, and she still hasn't glanced at it. I have a feeling kids are drawn to it when they start internally having the questions the book answers.

I gave the older two the "Feelings" book on their 10th birthday, when I could see the beginnings of some moodiness - that has been an equally huge hit.

I still haven't introduced a more explicit book that has anything to do with boys, but I'm thinking sometime in the next year...?

I would say somewhere between 8 and 10 is a good age, for both books.

My oldest started reading the girls book around the age of 9, give or take a few months!

And my 9yo son is now reading the Boys Body book.

If it helps any, Sonlight uses the books in their 5th grade science program, so maybe that would be a good time frame to consider.

I got the book a couple months ago for my 8 yr old who will turn 9 in March. I got it now vs. waiting a year or so b/c she's already developing breast buds and tiny bit of hair and I was afraid if I didn't start now, that she'd get her period and would be uprepared.

I let her read it a bit and we sat and talked about it and read it together some as well. I thought it was a well done book and just the right kind of info for her age group.