Menu

Household Fix: Small crack in art-pottery bowl

Resilient

My friend gave me a sweet and pretty pottery bowl she got in an art studio in another country.  (No returns, right?) It's about 5" in diameter at the top, 2" at the base, and about 4" high. 

When I opened it, I saw a hairline crack from the rim to the base. The crack is slight, but obviously, I can't use the bowl for liquids.  Fine.   It need not be handled a lot (like never unless we move or I have to dust or something ridiculous like that).  I filled it halfway with fine sand and stuck a slender candle in it. Very pretty in its spot.

Question: is there anything I should do to make sure it doesn't crack all the way through?  I wonder if I can just leave it alone and hope for the best.  I thought about rubbing a line of glue into it, but I kind of think that might be worse than leaving it alone.  

Thoughts?  Thank you in advance. 

2 hours ago, Stacia said:

Embrace kintsugi.

https://blog.artsper.com/en/lifestyle/the-kintsugi-or-the-japanese-art-of-mending-ceramics-with-gold/

You can find kintsugi kits on etsy, amazon, etc.

I was actually thinking about this.  The friend who gave it to me has deep connections with Japan.  This seemed appropriate but I did not know about DIY and kits.  Thank you.  

• Like 1