Menu

Gravestones, Funerals, Death, etc....

DawnM

3 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I have mixed feelings about whether it is disrespectful to change the wording from what your father wants. Since he will not see it in person, I think that the memorial is really, in the long term, for you and your descendants. However, I also understand that he, as the spouse, should have the biggest input. My dad didn't ask my input at all on my mom's gravestone.

But thinking of my mom's stone leads me to throw out an idea I don't think I have seen mentioned yet. My mom's grave is in a final row, with no other plots behind her. There is a path back there that cars can drive down. So my dad is having the wording placed on both sides of the stone, so that it can be read by people driving by, as well as those who would get out and walk to see the front.

Could you put what your dad wants on the front side of the stone, and put your own epitaph on the back side? Or vice versa.

So, when you enter the graveyard, there is a road that is a circle all the way around (it is a small graveyard) and my parents are right on the road), so anything written on the back probably won't be seen.

This is the cemetery and I believe that purple circle is the general location of my mom's grave, right on that windy dirt road.    But you can also see that it is an older cemetery and rather small.

CEM47009998_125323627907.jpg.5a7d9799198d73522b95f936be0b04c0.jpg

12 minutes ago, DawnM said:

This is the cemetery and I believe that purple circle is the general location of my mom's grave, right on that windy dirt road.    But you can also see that it is an older cemetery and rather small.

CEM47009998_125323627907.jpg.5a7d9799198d73522b95f936be0b04c0.jpg

That's lovely, but I don't understand why the back wouldn't be see by those walking around or visiting the graves.

9 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

That's lovely, but I don't understand why the back wouldn't be see by those walking around or visiting the graves.

Well, it would be, but I am saying people driving around the circle.

I think honestly, the cemetery doesn't get that many visitors.   

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2021 at 1:43 PM, Faith-manor said:

Also, really just what others said, this is about the living. When fil died, it was after a long, long battle with cancer that left mil utterly, physically spent. Of course her church expected an immediate funeral, but she was just not mentally or physically capable, and none of her children, in laws, or grandkids could come because we all lived out of state and had spent vacation time to visit him while he was alive. So she told the pastor NO and why. He was wonderful, and so respectful. He told everyone on a mass email and call list that they were not to visit her for two weeks, and it would be he and his wife only doing well checks on her so she could rest. The first day after fil died, she slept for 14 hrs, got up and had a sandwich and large glass of water, and went back to sleep for another 8 hrs. She spent two weeks caring for herself. Then the pastor simply had Sunday service in which the obituary and eulogy were read, and she lit a candle for him. The church provided a flower arrangement. No luncheon, but she was showered with groceries, casseroles, and restaurant gift cards. When she told them she was coming to visit us, families donated enough money to buy her plane ticket and then some. It was PERFECT! I cannot emphasize enough that people should do what is best for them and their immediate family. Be creative. Traditions do you no good if they are not helpful personally.

This is beautiful.   Seriously.   What a gift.  

• Like 1