Menu

Audio present help.......Home stereo $200-300 (maybe up to $400)

Tap

DD23 wants to get her brother a stereo for Christmas. He listens to CDs (not vinyl) but likes complex instrumental music and singers with truly amazing voices.  So, sound quality is important but still on a budget.  He likes a lot of Prog and rock music like Rush, Porcupine Tree, Queensryche, ELO,  etc. Much of what he listens to is 70-90's, some more modern, but similar sounds. 

Any suggestions for a simple sound system? Needs to have a CD player and speakers. Right now, he has Bose over the ear head phones he uses all the time, but it would be nice for him to have another option. 

• Like 1

DH has Audioengine speakers that sound good.  Not sure about a CD player,  I can ask him.  He also started getting into listening via headphones and uses a Schiit DAC setup.  If your dd  wants to upgrade headphones,  that might be a way to go, but the nicer setups use corded headphones so you can't just wonder about your room. DH  has his sitting by a chair. 

We do audio repair and Yamaha, Pioneer or Sony compact stereo system would be within her budget and have good sound. Need to make sure new product has headphone jack, possibly phono inputs if he decides he want to add a record player at some point.  Usb if he wants to stream from his phone, If she can get her hands on an older vintage Sansui or Marantz, that's been refurbished,  he would probably enjoy either one.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robin M said:

We do audio repair and Yamaha, Pioneer or Sony compact stereo system would be within her budget and have good sound. Need to make sure new product has headphone jack, possibly phono inputs if he decides he want to add a record player at some point.  Usb if he wants to stream from his phone, If she can get her hands on an older vintage Sansui or Marantz, that's been refurbished,  he would probably enjoy either one.  

Thank you! It is hard to know what brands have held up over the years! I will look for those brands. She is into vinyl, so she knows a lot about turntables and speakers, but I am not sure if the same brands translate into CD quality items. I also appreciate advice about watching what inputs it has! That is a great reminder!

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1