Menu

Quick question about the structure of US government.

1) Is the House of Representatives also Congress? I hear the two terms bandied about--and I assume they're the same thing.

2) How are seats for the Senate usually filled? Does the state governor really appoint someone to the federal seat? (Actually, that's actually how we do it here in Canada, (sort of--actually the Prime Minister appoints on the recommendation of the Premier) so it shouldn't surprise me. We don't HAVE to do it that way--there could be an election, and the winner then recommended and appointed as above.

TIA.

2) How are seats for the Senate usually filled? Does the state governor really appoint someone to the federal seat? (Actually, that's actually how we do it here in Canada, (sort of--actually the Prime Minister appoints on the recommendation of the Premier) so it shouldn't surprise me. We don't HAVE to do it that way--there could be an election, and the winner then recommended and appointed as above.

TIA.

You may be referring to the recent news story concerning the appointment of a senator to the Illinois seat.

Each state has its own rules on how senators or representatives who leave office are replaced. Sometimes there are special elections, sometimes appointments by a governor. These appointees might serve the remainder of the term or they might only serve until the next regular federal election.

What often complexifies things here in the US is that each of the fifty states can have its unique twist on things. Even Americans get confused because what is normal for them in their state is not a practice elsewhere.

Edited by Jane in NC
clarity