Menu

Saltine Toffee help, please (and pizzelle request, too)....

Okay, I must be the only dimwit around here who can't make a good batch of this stuff. Mine is sugary, not toffee-ish. Do you need to melt the sugar and butter until it carmelizes a bit? Any other tips to get this stuff right?

Also, if you have a great tasting recipe for pizzelles, I would love to have a copy. The recipe I just made is rather dense and not very flavorful.

Okay, I must be the only dimwit around here who can't make a good batch of this stuff. Mine is sugary, not toffee-ish. Do you need to melt the sugar and butter until it carmelizes a bit? Any other tips to get this stuff right?

Also, if you have a great tasting recipe for pizzelles, I would love to have a copy. The recipe I just made is rather dense and not very flavorful.

Mine is also pretty sugary, but I do cook mine longer than it says.

If you have a batch you need tested, I'm your gal.

We need to talk tomorrow.

Did you use only white sugar? I used half white and half dark brown sugar. It tasted fine to me and the rest in this house. (My melted chocolate looks horrible - but it tastes much better than it looks!)

Here is the recipe I use for pizelles:

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon anise extract

2 tsp baking powder

1-2 tsp almond extract (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup melted butter, cooled

3/4 cup sugar

Beat eggs and sugar, add cooled melted butter and extract (I can't remember what combo of anise/vanilla/almond I use - I think I may use even more anise and add only almond - no vanilla)

Sift flour and baking powder and add to egg mixture. (Sifting may help it not be too dense - also I don't think I use a mixer to beat/stir - how you mix it could also affect the texture - I think)

Makes 30 pizzelles.

Did you use only white sugar? I used half white and half dark brown sugar. It tasted fine to me and the rest in this house. (My melted chocolate looks horrible - but it tastes much better than it looks!)

Here is the recipe I use for pizelles:

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon anise extract

2 tsp baking powder

1-2 tsp almond extract (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup melted butter, cooled

3/4 cup sugar

Beat eggs and sugar, add cooled melted butter and extract (I can't remember what combo of anise/vanilla/almond I use - I think I may use even more anise and add only almond - no vanilla)

Sift flour and baking powder and add to egg mixture. (Sifting may help it not be too dense - also I don't think I use a mixer to beat/stir - how you mix it could also affect the texture - I think)

Makes 30 pizzelles.

Thanks, Brenda. The recipe I used had very little sugar in relation to the flour and eggs, nor did it call for vanilla. I am going to up the sugar and add vanilla to my current batch and see how that does. I will use yours for the second batch.

I will try using some brown sugar in the next batch of the toffee, too. I suspect that will help.