Menu

Has anyone used Fix-it Grammar all the way to Level 6?

Red Dove

My oldest two at home are in the fifth book now.  It's driving me crazy . . . not a fan of Chanticleer so far but they like it and are enjoying the vocabulary.  Sometimes I feel like its random and last week I just asked them if they wanted to switch to something else for grammar but they turned me down.  Interested to see what the new books look like . . .

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

My oldest two at home are in the fifth book now.  It's driving me crazy . . . not a fan of Chanticleer so far but they like it and are enjoying the vocabulary.  Sometimes I feel like its random and last week I just asked them if they wanted to switch to something else for grammar but they turned me down.  Interested to see what the new books look like . . .

How do you like the content so far? My dd made it to book 2. She liked it, but it felt so light to me and lacking retention. She was doing the markups but not really understanding when I asked questions outside of Fixit. "Oh, that's a noun, I mean a verb, I mean a..."

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, Spirea said:

How do you like the content so far? My dd made it to book 2. She liked it, but it felt so light to me and lacking retention. She was doing the markups but not really understanding when I asked questions outside of Fixit. "Oh, that's a noun, I mean a verb, I mean a..."

My boys are really good at finding the different types of clauses with the subject and verbs. They never miss prepositional phrases and are really good at finding the mistakes: misused words, misspellings, tense mistakes.   They really only miss things that are very unusual so in that sense, it is working.  I think that Fix-It is just different from other grammar programs.  It's more about sentence structure than the individual parts. So instead of asking "is that a verb?"; The question becomes is that group of words a clause?,  What is the subject and verb?  what kind of a clause?, does it need to be set off with commas?  So it really ignores adjectives, adverbs, direct objects, etc after the first two books.

My one wish is that they would add some diagramming into their system but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 4:42 AM, Tenaj said:

My one wish is that they would add some diagramming into their system but I doubt that will happen.

I also wish Fix It had diagramming.  I did purchase supplements, I think "elementary diagramming" and also "diagramming the scriptures" though we did not ever try the latter. This year we switched to MP. I do kind of like their grammar to just solidify all the definitions and rules. We haven't gotten to any diagramming yet, though MP told me there is some. We may try Fix It again next year.  I think my 10 yr old would really like Fix It.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spirea said:

I also wish Fix It had diagramming.  I did purchase supplements, I think "elementary diagramming" and also "diagramming the scriptures" though we did not ever try the latter. This year we switched to MP. I do kind of like their grammar to just solidify all the definitions and rules. We haven't gotten to any diagramming yet, though MP told me there is some. We may try Fix It again next year.  I think my 10 yr old would really like Fix It.

For several years my goal has been to add diagramming in on Fridays but by the time Friday rolls around we are usually not in the mood for diagramming, especially my older two who are the ones using Fix-It - LOL!  

• Like 1