Menu

What to replace Maps, Charts, and Graphs?

Sarah0000

It looks like the Maps, Charts, and Graphs workbook series is no longer being made. I'm looking for alternatives. I liked that series because it's short; I don't want a year long program or to do multiple lessons each day, so I'm not interested in Daily Geography. My kids haven't liked the DK workbooks; too simplistic and unengaging. MP's Geography looks too focused on memorizing place names and capitals. 

I'm primarily interested in something simple to practice using map skills and learning some geographic terms and principles rather than memorizing anything. Any suggestions? This is for a 1st grader who completed Maps, Charts, and Graphs A and B and a 4th grader who completed through level E (ie they know the basics, so nothing that starts with "this is a compass").

• Like 1

That's too bad! I liked that series for the same reason.

Perhaps buy up quick all of the Maps Charts & Graphs levels you can still find from used book sellers? Buy one of each level and have older student use a page protector & dry erase marker to do it, so that each workbook is clean for the next student?

Or, from the sample pages these seem to be somewhat similar, but only take you up to about grade 5/6, and none are *exactly* like Maps Charts and Graphs:

- Spectrum - grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6
- Map Skills for Today - grade 3grade 4, grade 5
- Steck Vaughn: Maps Globes, Graphs - level C, level D, level E, level F
- Steck Vaughn: Maps: Read, Understand, Apply (and spread each over 2 years) - grades 3-4, grades 5-6 
- maybe adapt the Evan Moore Daily Geography -- just do excerpts, and spread each book over 2 years?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3