Menu

Hoffman Academy, but for saxophone?

Noreen Claire

Is there a Hoffman Academy equivalent for the saxophone? DS12 did Hoffman for nearly a year before moving on to a local piano teacher, and it worked really well for him.

He now wants to learn to play viola, but also would like to learn a marching band instrument (to follow in his big brother's shoes and participate in the HS marching band in a two years). We already own two saxophones (from said older brother). I can't pay for lessons for *three* separate instruments, so I'm wondering if he could teach himself sax? 

Thanks.

https://www.essentialelementsinteractive.com Is pretty good. 

I would suggest getting the instrument checked over by a service tech. There are a few pads on sax that, if they have rotted out, will make playing anything super hard. If you can find someone to help with posture, figuring out how high the neck strap needs to be, and embouchure initially, it would be a good idea, but yes, it’s fairly common to be able to self teach a second instrument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

https://www.essentialelementsinteractive.com Is pretty good. 

I would suggest getting the instrument checked over by a service tech. There are a few pads on sax that, if they have rotted out, will make playing anything super hard. If you can find someone to help with posture, figuring out how high the neck strap needs to be, and embouchure initially, it would be a good idea, but yes, it’s fairly common to be able to self teach a second instrument. 

I could kiss you!

Thank you very very much for that link. I have the first sax book from them, and also the first trumpet book (for DS9). I didn't even notice the advertisement for the website. 🤦 I'm going to check it out with them both tomorrow.

I did have the sax cleaned and repaired 2 years ago, when we thought that DS25 would be able to tutor him, but that didn't work out. I will check it out tomorrow and see about having it looked over again. Thanks for reminding me.