Menu

nm

Deleted because I’ve been planning for next school year non-stop for days and I no longer know what I’m talking about or what I actually need. I’m going to come up with a loose plan and then wing it for the rest. Ha! 

Edited by 2ndGenHomeschooler
Words and I just aren’t getting along well this morning. :P
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not a lot out there in that time period -- most booklists jump from Ancients into mid/late Medieval. Below are a few titles to get you started.

You might also consider adding in some folktales from around the world, as well as Norse mythology, and the Arabian Nights, as those tales were in oral tradition during the late Ancient/early Middle Ages -- just not written down/translated until much later. Also, especially for China, a lot of nonfiction history that is called "Ancient" is really set during this early Middle Ages time period.

Another thought is to look at a few history timelines, pull out ideas of major people, and look for biographies or historical fiction about them that would work for your ages. (Adult historical fiction often includes adult topics, so you'd want to preview...)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

4th century (300-400)
- ?

5th century (400-500)
- Britain = King Arthur (Pyle) -- classic literature
- Roman Britain = Black Horses for the King (McCaffrey) -- historical fiction; King Arthur
- Roman Britiain = The Lantern Bearers (Sutcliffe) -- historical fiction

6th century (500-600)
- China = Royal Diaries: Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Warrior of the South (Yep)
- Korea = Royal Diaries: Sŏndŏk: Princess of the Moon and Stars (Holman)

7th century (600-700)
- Britain = Beowulf (Morpurgo retelling, or other retelling) -- classic Anglo-Saxon literature, written between 600-900AD

8th century (700-800)
- Middle East = Arabs in the Golden Age -- nonfiction (flourished from 8th-14th centuries)
- Africa = The Empire of Ghana (Green) -- nonfiction; (empire ran from 300-1200AD, but esp. flourished 700-1000AD)
- Mesoamerica = Royal Diaries: Lady of Palenque: Flower of Bacal (Kirwan) -- historical fiction/real person
- France = Son of Charlemagne (Willard) -- historical fiction/real person

9th century (800-900)
- Middle East = Arabs in the Golden Age -- nonfiction (flourished from 8th-14th centuries)
- Africa = The Empire of Ghana (Green) -- nonfiction; (empire ran from 300-1200AD, but esp. flourished 700-1000AD)
- Mesoamerica = Well of Sacrifice (Eboch) -- historical fiction, Mayan culture

Edited by Lori D.

12 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

Deleted because I’ve been planning for next school year non-stop for days and I no longer know what I’m talking about or what I actually need. I’m going to come up with a loose plan and then wing it for the rest. Ha! 

It happens, lol. Sometimes you can think yourself in circles! The best thing is always to go figure out someone else. Much easier than solving your own quandries. 😁

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Not a lot out there in that time period -- most booklists jump from Ancients into mid/late Medieval. Below are a few titles to get you started.

You might also consider adding in some folktales from around the world, as well as Norse mythology, and the Arabian Nights, as those tales were in oral tradition during the late Ancient/early Middle Ages -- just not written down/translated until much later. Also, especially for China, a lot of nonfiction history that is called "Ancient" is really set during this early Middle Ages time period.

Another thought is to look at a few history timelines, pull out ideas of major people, and look for biographies or historical fiction about them that would work for your ages. (Adult historical fiction often includes adult topics, so you'd want to preview...)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

4th century (300-400)
- ?

5th century (400-500)
- Britain = King Arthur (Pyle) -- classic literature
- Roman Britain = Black Horses for the King (McCaffrey) -- historical fiction; King Arthur
- Roman Britiain = The Lantern Bearers (Sutcliffe) -- historical fiction

6th century (500-600)
- China = Royal Diaries: Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Warrior of the South (Yep)
- Korea = Royal Diaries: Sŏndŏk: Princess of the Moon and Stars (Holman)

7th century (600-700)
- Britain = Beowulf (Morpurgo retelling, or other retelling) -- classic Anglo-Saxon literature, written between 600-900AD

8th century (700-800)
- Mesoamerica = Royal Diaries: Lady of Palenque: Flower of Bacal (Kirwan) -- historical fiction/real person
- France = Son of Charlemagne (Willard) -- historical fiction/real person

9th century (800-900)
- Mesoamerica = Well of Sacrifice (Eboch) -- historical fiction, Mayan culture

Thank you Lori! I always appreciate your posts. I’ll look through these ideas and see what my library has.

Your “confused” reaction was completely warranted. LOL I was confusing myself at that point. I think I was on my fourth edit of the post and/or title and was completely confused myself! I was definitely overthinking and then I started mixing up dates and time periods in my head and wasn’t sure if my question was making sense. So I just deleted it. I just needed to take a break, I think. Anyway…thanks again!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

It happens, lol. Sometimes you can think yourself in circles! The best thing is always to go figure out someone else. Much easier than solving your own quandries. 😁

Yes! I was definitely thinking in circles! Took a break yesterday and will get back to it today. The goal is to finish the planning by the end of this week and this middle school history/literature thing is the last one. The end is in sight! 
But yes, solving other’s “stuff” is definitely easier! I’ve gotten a good amount of school planning done for my sister lately and found that to be MUCH easier. LOL 

• Like 1