Menu

TGTB vs Singapore Math for very fast learner, imitating older siblings

Janeway

My rising 4th grader got TGTB Math. She LOVES TGTB and really wanted to do the math. Yay! Since she hates math, I hope this turns things around. Problem is, my younger child. He imitates his sister and he pays attention when she does her lessons and often would like to be a part of them. This does not bother her at all so it is fine. He also has an excellent memory and learns fast. He is doing Singapore Math and we currently intend to stick to it. However, when her new TGTB Math 4 arrived, he was bothered that he did not get a TGTB Math 2. I look over TGTB Math 2 and it has some new things. But in reality, he could use something like that, but way more compact. He already adds numbers with ease, he already "seems" to understand place value. He reads clocks to the hour and understands what multiplication is and knows some of his facts. He would still learn borrowing and carrying, and how to read a clock in more detail. (right now, he can read stuff like two minutes until 3 o'clock, but we have not covered stuff like half past nine, which will clearly be easy to cover for him as he got the other stuff with ease). I already own his textbooks and workbooks for Singapore Math. I am kind of guessing once the year gets going, he will not care which program he is in as it won't be new anymore. 

Should I just get him TGTB Math anyway? or would this likely be a waste of money? I found frustrated when I had to toss out his TGTB LA book because he clearly had mastered it almost right after we started. 

• Like 1

I only used Singapore math and my son (5yo at the time) didn't like it due to the confusing bar method. I never use TGTB. I, however, know that TGTB is spiral while Singapore is mastery approach. Which approach fits your son better? Does he need a lot of repetition to understand a new concept? Maybe you can have your son try out TGTB 4 with his sister if you think he may master all TGTB 2 (or 3) before the school year is over.

I would keep them in separate programs because it sounds like it's possible he could overtake his sister in math.  I think it would be a lot easier to just avoid that.  

It's okay for him not to have the exact same as his sister.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lecka said:

I would keep them in separate programs because it sounds like it's possible he could overtake his sister in math.  I think it would be a lot easier to just avoid that.  

It's okay for him not to have the exact same as his sister.  

I realized this today. He watched her math 4 video and then was capable of doing her assignment.

• Like 2