Menu

Who is Saxon Algebra 2 (or Other HS Math Courses) a Good Fit For?

Saxon is good for students who need bite sized instruction, a lot of spiraling, thrive with drill, tolerate busywork, and don't find it crazymaking when the book jumps seemingly random from topic to topic. It requires a student who easily complies with instructions.

Saxon will not be a good fit for a student who is a big picture thinker, who wants to master topic exhaustively before moving on to the next thing, who abhors busywork and thrives on challenge, who prefers a discovery based approach and is a strong self-directed learner, whose nature is rebellious and who tends to question teacher and assignments.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Both of my kids have done great with Saxon. One of them is extremely task-oriented and appreciates that she knows exactly how to do each problem and "doesn't have to think about it." The other is (I think) naturally mathy in that he generally grasps the concepts with ease. He's got EF issues, so he struggles to get the problem sets done, but he struggles to get literally any schoolwork done, so I don't think the program makes a difference for him. Saxon makes it easy for me to identify where they've gone wrong on tests and homework and to help them fix it, so it counts as a win in my book as well. The incremental/spiral approach is also a plus for me, because it means they can sometimes self-teach the lessons if I'm busy with other work. I don't let them do it very often, maybe one out of every 6 lessons, but they both seem to consider it a little treat.

On a personal note, I nearly failed Alg2 in high school, and I'm consistently excited by how easy it seems when Saxon teaches it. I sincerely enjoy our Alg2 lessons... much more than the kid does 😉