Menu

cramp/charley horse in dogs

Tree Frog

My dog is about 8 years old. He's recently started squealing in pain whenever he pushes off to run or jump. He's stopped doing some of his favorite activities due to the pain. When he squeals, he frequently carries his back leg up against his body. We laid him down a couple of days ago and ds notices his entire leg and foot were clenched, which made him think our pup has a charley horse or cramp. It's always in the same leg. The vet has said to try carprofen daily for 2 weeks, but that doesn't seem to lessen his pain. She has suggested x-rays as the next step.

I wonder if there's a supplement I can give him to see if it helps, much like magnesium and potassium help with cramps in humans. When I google it, all I get is info about additional medical conditions that can cause cramps. Can I give him bananas or something else safely? Any other ideas? We're not opposed to x-rays, but cramps wouldn't show up on them.

Thank you.

Given his age I'd be more inclined to think it's hip dysplasia/arthritis. That's probably most likely. One almost sure sign of that is to watch him from behind when he's walking fast or running. Most dogs with significant hip dysplasia or arthritis will "bunny hop" with their back legs instead of striding normally. I think it could possibly also be something in his spine that's making him hurt down that leg? I've known dogs with cervical spine issues who had tremendously tensed muscles in their neck. I doubt it would do any harm to give him a little magnesium to see if it helps.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Given his age I'd be more inclined to think it's hip dysplasia/arthritis. That's probably most likely. One almost sure sign of that is to watch him from behind when he's walking fast or running. Most dogs with significant hip dysplasia or arthritis will "bunny hop" with their back legs instead of striding normally. I think it could possibly also be something in his spine that's making him hurt down that leg? I've known dogs with cervical spine issues who had tremendously tensed muscles in their neck. I doubt it would do any harm to give him a little magnesium to see if it helps.

I agree with this. It sounds like xrays are in order so you can figure out exactly what is causing such significant pain.

• Like 2

This dog has had a bump on his spine since before we fostered him. It isn't as pronounced as it used to be, so it could be something neurological. When the vet checked his legs, his other leg was difficult to move, but the painful one had full movement. My dd speculated that it's because he's compensating for the weak leg.

I'm not discounting the possibility of hip dysplasia. We have had 3 large dogs who had it and this just doesn't feel the same. The other dogs started running differently (the jack rabbit run with the back legs together), but his gait hasn't changed. He doesn't push off the way he used to and he won't jump up on things anymore, but once he's running, his gait looks the same. He enjoys walking and doesn't seem to be in pain, but if it's the early stages of arthritis, it might not be painful all the time yet.

I'll add some magnesium and talk to his vet tomorrow to get x-rays set up.  Thanks for helping me think through this.

• Like 1